Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
burak
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Burak

Second target in case of failure

Post by burak »

Hello,

we use Veeam Backup & Replication v9 for two Hyper-V server. We have two backup jobs which backup the virtual machines from the two hosts to a local hard drive. We created a second target for each job to copy the restore points on another server to have redundant backup files. This works fine.

But a week ago, we had a problem with our hard drives of the primary backup repository. The problem is: the backup will fail because the target is not available and the backup copy job won't work either because it takes the backup files from the primary repository.

Since backup are really important and until the new hard drives arrive, switch them out, 2-3 days can pass. At this time, there is no up-to-date backup of the servers and if a failure happen in this time, we have to restore to an outdated version. Maybe it's not a big deal for some server but especially for the mail server is this critical.

Is there any possibility to create "failover"-backup jobs so if the first job does not succeed it tries another job? Or, if the primary repository is not available, switch to another repository?

I'm curious if I am the only one with this problem and would be pleased for some feedback.

Best regards,

Burak
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Second target in case of failure

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Burak,
That is an interesting idea. What I can suggest is to create a "reserve backup job" with most critical VMs and point it to the secondary repository. Then you can write a script which will enable the secondary job if the main one has failed because of the certain issue. For instance you can use Veeam ONE alarms for that purpose.
Thanks!