Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Tape Jobs Schedule enhancements

Post by tfloor » 1 person likes this post

Is there a schedule exclusion coming for tape backups?

Normally when for example it's christmas i disable that days for backup to tape, otherwise it's sitting there and waiting for a tape.
I don't see it at the moment.
Peter_Riederer
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Peter Riederer

Re: Tape backup Schedule exclusions

Post by Peter_Riederer »

Yes we would really appreciate this feature too !
Just a few minutes ago i had a discussion with one of my colleagues, that there is currently no possibilty to exclude days -> daily, weekly, monthly backup on holidays e.g.
marksmithuk
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mark Smith

Post by marksmithuk »

Another person here who thinks that would be a useful feature
Peter_Riederer
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Peter Riederer

Post by Peter_Riederer » 4 people like this post

i think we all want to get rid of our Backup Exec Installations, and just use Veeam as the one and only tool ;)
marksmithuk
Enthusiast

Post by marksmithuk » 1 person likes this post

all services all disabled.... just waiting to click the uninstall button here!!! Cannot wait!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

For now you can, probably, write a simple PS script responsible for enabling/disabling given tape job(s) and schedule it via Windows Scheduler to run during the said period (XMAS holidays). In other words, tape job will be disabled at the begging of the holidays and enabled again once the holidays are finished:

Disable a tape job:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRTapeJob -name "Name of tape job" 
$Job.DisableScheduler() 
Enable a tape job:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job.EnableScheduler() 
Disable all tape jobs:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
foreach ($Job in Get-VBRTapeJob)
{
$Job.DisableScheduler()
} 
Enable all tape jobs:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
{
$Job.DisableScheduler()
} 
Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Would not it be easier to just shutdown Veeam server when leaving for the holidays ;)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello to all,

Thank you for the great feedback - we will look in to the possibility of improving the scheduling for backup to tape jobs. Meanwhile, you could use the groundbreaking scripts from the Veeam PowerShell Guru :wink:
marksmithuk
Enthusiast

Post by marksmithuk »

Good idea v.Eremin, and nice try Gostev but we would need the main backups / replication to run for the off person that enjoys working on Christmas day :)
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Post by tfloor »

Gostev wrote:Would not it be easier to just shutdown Veeam server when leaving for the holidays ;)
Backups to disks are no problem, that don't need the manual action. That's why i love to disk, and little bit hate the tape :)
HTHGMBH
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: HTH Holtkamp GmbH

[MERGED] FEATURE REQUEST - Exclusion Dates for Tape-Backup p

Post by HTHGMBH »

It would be nice to configure some exclusions Dates for the Tape backup Job. Couse on Holiday days when nobody insert a new tape the backup Jobs runs into an error. So please give the Option for Tape Jobs to configure exclusion Dates, maybe with the Option to Import local Holiday days. This would be very helpful.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Exclusion Dates for Tape-Backup plan

Post by Shestakov »

Hello!

In some countries Holidays depend on the exact day of the year, in others it`s the 1/2/3rd Mon/Tue/etc. of a month. In some countries a Holiday can be moved, let`s say from Tue to Mon to make a long weekend. + some companies work on Holidays etc.
So I believe importing Holidays can cause a lot of issues and complaints. However, idea of adding exclusions of exact days makes sense. Let`s see of someone else needs the option as well.

Thank you for the feedback!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You still prohibit tape job execution on certain days via PS scripting. Though, the script provided above would not work in version 8 due to some changes introduced there.

Current version should look like this:

Disable a tape job:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Disable-VBRJob -Job $Job
Enable a tape job:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Enable-VBRJob -Job $Job
Disable all tape jobs:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
{
Disable-VBRJob -Job $Job
} 
Enable all tape jobs:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
{
Enable-VBRJob -Job $Job
} 
Thanks.
JNelsonLogix
Lurker
Full Name: Jonathan

[MERGED] : Tape Backups & Holidays

Post by JNelsonLogix »

Hey Support,

I just wanted to make a suggestion in regards to tape backups. When holidays occur, users are not in the office. There should be an option to exclude certain days or something along those grounds. For example one of our clients infrastructure setup: A Daily Backup Job of 3 virtual machines that is scheduled to run the job automatically on "Weekdays" at 6:00 PM. Then they have a Tape Backup Job that is scheduled to run as soon as the Daily Backup Job completes. When Monday comes around and the Daily Backup completes, the wrong tape is going to be in the drive and cause problems. This is something that should be addressed or updated in a patch. Any tips or comments are appreciated.

Jonathan
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Backups & Holidays

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks - good request. Have you considered using PowerShell to disable the tape jobs during holidays?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jonathan,

Kindly, check the script provided above and see whether it meets your expectations.

Thanks.
DBecker
Novice
Full Name: Doug Becker

Post by DBecker »

I have tried the PowerShell scripts listed above. The Disable All worked... once. The Enable All will not work. This was running it manually. When I tried to schedule it, it kicked off at the right time but did nothing, and when I checked the Job in Task Scheduler, its status was "Running." And it stayed that way until I manually stopped it.

I am running Veeam B&R 9.0 and Windows Server 2012R2.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

[MERGED] Tape Scheduling

Post by rreed »

Afternoon, all. We use a bunch of File to Tape jobs to archive our backup files to tape. I'd like to run the jobs in a particular order, so I simply set the first job at say 9:00 (Incremental Backup, Run incremental backup automatically at this time), the second one at 9:01, third 9:02, etc. thinking they would fire in that order, with each job waiting for the last one to finish, keeping the order of Next Run.

They don't, they seem to fire in I'm not sure what order, but certainly isn't by Next Run/schedule as indicated above. I would say randomly, though it might not exactly be random since we only fire tape backups once a month and I haven't noted if there's a pattern in their execution order. I just know it certainly isn't in order I would like. v9u1, if that helps.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Tape Scheduling

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Thinking they would fire in that order, with each job waiting for the last one to finish, keeping the order of Next Run.
The easiest way to achieve what you are after is to use a post-job script for each File To tape job that will trigger the next job to start after the previous one has finished.

Thanks
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Very good, I suppose. Any chance the scheduling will get fixed in an update or future version? Or what would be great is to add "After this job" like I think Backup and some other job types have. That would be awesome most of all please.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Any chance the scheduling will get fixed in an update or future version?
Not in v9.5 for sure, maybe later.

Thanks
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

Quote Dima P:
» Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:16 pm
Hello to all,

Thank you for the great feedback - we will look in to the possibility of improving the scheduling for backup to tape jobs. Meanwhile, you could use the groundbreaking scripts from the Veeam PowerShell Guru :wink:

**************************************************************************************************************************************

More than 3 years later, what actually has changed regarding scheduling mechanisms for tape jobs? Several times users complain the lack of feature to schedule 'File to Tape jobs' with the scheduler option 'After this job' including me!

Will this finally be possible in VBR v9.5 or do we have to wait another year, if at all?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Didi7,
There will not be a UI feature to disable tape jobs for Christmas or any other weekend however tape scheduling will be improved in v9.5
You will have an option to delay source jobs start if tape jobs are still processing backup files, rather than stopping the tape jobs.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

I will have a closer look, as soon as 9.5 is available.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Will this finally be possible in VBR v9.5 or do we have to wait another year, if at all?
Nope, "after this job" files to tape schedule option won't be included in 9.5. Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Re: Tape Jobs Schedule enhancements

Post by Didi7 »

Is this so difficult to include? Maybe in the first update? I have the impression, that a lot of users asked for this option browsing the forum or is this not on the top list? You know, putting additional stuff on tape beside the actual *.vbk and *.vib stuff, is necessary as well and to guess, when B2D-jobs are finished, is not a nice option.

Regards,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is this so difficult to include?
It's not always about underlying difficulty, but rather about priority given to more demanded functionality. Also, this schedule gap can be easily bypassed via simple PS script.
Maybe in the first update?
First update is more about fixing crucial issues, rather than adding new features. So, I wouldn't expect it implemented in Update 1.

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

:cry:
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Post by Blue407 »

I too would like to see the ability to eclude certain days from a backup job, only for tape in my case.

Its only a simple calendar thats required with the option to exlcude certain dates you select, it really shouldn't be a major job to add it.

Sorry, but PS scripts and scheduling them is not a valid solution, we need a proper GUI option. I can see requests dating back over 6 years for this feature.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello, Paul!
Among main reasons why the feature is not implemented yet, that we had not much of requests in the mentioned years and there is a powershell-based workaround.
Thank you for the request, more we have, earlier the feature is to be released.