Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
heliop100
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Helio Perlman

ReFS vs ZFS

Post by heliop100 »

Hi,I'm moving 2Tb (NTFS, almost full) of archiving and Veeam Backup Copies to a new mirrored 4Tb one.As this new server will be only for store cold data, I'm wondering if I go to Server 2016 + ReFS or FreeBSD (or Linux) + ZFS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: ReFS vs ZFS

Post by Gostev »

Hi, ReFS no doubt. ZFS would be my recommendation when you have to have Linux-based repository, but ReFS wins hands down due to its capabilities specifically as it comes to backup storage for Veeam. Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Just remember that ZFS is not only a filesystem but it also offers you RAID capabilities thus you can export a big ZFS LUN via iSCSI to a Windows based machine and create a ReFS volume atop of it. Another important thing to remember about is that ZFS originally came from UNIX thus its implementation on Linux-based machines requires an additional abstraction layer which might introduce more bugs. In other words if you want ZFS then stick with UNIX and never ever try to put another layer between real hardware and ZFS, i.e. no vmfs (only direct access to a raw device), no RAID etc.

Thanks
heliop100
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Helio Perlman

Post by heliop100 »

Hi PTide,

OpenSolaris?
I used Solaris 10, years ago, when was SUN. Since Oracle acquisition I never tried Solaris again.
Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Yes, but in addition to openSolaris there are others that support ZFS

Thanks