Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jjackson81281
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jessie Jackson

Recommendations for this setup?

Post by jjackson81281 »

Ok first ill explain what we currently have, then what we would like to do and finally what I'm trying an why it isnt working. Hopefully someone can please help me.

We have a central location lets call it THQ
We have 4 client sites A,B,C,D
At THQ and ABCD we have ESXi (currently we use the free version but are willing to upgrade if we can get Veeam to do what we need (right now using demo license for THQ and site A)
There is a site-to-site VPN from THQ to A,B,C,and D.

We want to back up the VM's at ABCD to THQ
Preferably one full back up then nightly incremental backups.

Currently I have set up Veeam as a VM on THQ
I get it to run a backup from a VM on site A, it will run a full backup (takes 2 days for 40GB) but then at the next run it doesnt do incremental it tries to do another full backup. Half the time it has been failing, but that may have been due to a VPN issue we were having which is resolved now.

What would be the most effective method?
Currently we arent using a SAN or anything just ESXi and VM's
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Recommendations for this setup?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, what makes you think that the next run is not incremental?
jjackson81281
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jessie Jackson

Post by jjackson81281 »

because the one time it was successful the next time it tried backing up the entire 40GB again.
This morning I got this error after waiting 50+ hours for an initial backup
Removing snapshot RemoveSnapshot failed, snapshotRef "32-snapshot-38", timeout "3600000" Unable to connect to the remote server A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.101.1:443 Veeam Backup will attempt to remove snapshot during the next job cycle, but you may consider removing snapshot manually. Possible causes for snapshot removal failure: - Network connectivity issue, or vCenter server is too busy to serve the request - ESX host was unable to process snapshot removal request in a timely manner - Snapshot was already removed by another application BackupFile failed Client error: Connection limit is exceeded for replica host "192.168.101.1". Wait until concurrent operations involving this host complete, then try again. Server error: End of file
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, but this does not really answer my question - how do you know it does entire 40GB next time (after successful replication)? Because replication code currently simply does not provide functionality to perform more than one "full".

As for your error, sounds very much like connection issues are still there unfortunately :(