Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

VPowerNFS not mounting after 9.0 U2

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm still going through various KBs etc. but thought I'd ask here before logging a case in case I'm missing something obvious but, has anything changed NFS-wise in v9 U2?

I've just upgraded our environment yesterday with no issues noticed during the update but came in this morning to some very weird issues which I've traced to being related to the vPowerNFS on our repository server not mounting (showing as "Inactive" in vsphere client).

Has anything changed that should affect behaviour here that I've missed?

One of the troubleshooting steps I'm having a surprising issue with is puttying to a vmkernel port on our hosts, despite having done so a long time ago I can currently ping them but not putty to them, just wanted to check whether there's something else that might have changed before I go down that rabbit-hole...

FWIW the repository server on our other site is mounting just fine...

[Edit: I'm currently unable to manually mount this NFS either, hence trying to figure out what can have changed in this release/patch to affect it - nothing else installed on repo server recently to my knowledge]

(Main issue this is causing me is a bunch of problematic VMs due to having isos mounted from NFS).
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: VPowerNFS not mounting after 9.0 U2

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

Resolved this in the end, no idea what happened but something seemed to have caused the NFS to unmount (after yesterdays update) & I then got stuck in a loop where there were dependencies on the NFS that I had problems removing because the NFS was no longer available, plus it was getting re-mounted eventually with a (1) appended to the name.

In the end I managed to find some hidden "dependencies" (that didn't actually exist!) which I removed which then allowed me to unmount it fully then remount things by aiming a full VM restore to each host in turn to ensure that the NFS mounted correctly.

Slightly worrying but got there in the end (in case this post helps anyone else in future)