Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Наиль Мухаметшин

Feature Request - Include/Exclude VMs by SMB share name

Post by Nail.Mukhametshin »

Hi all!

On BnR v8 we have option to include in backup VM that plased on Clusters, Specific hosts or specific VM, in addition we can search by CSV path. So we have options:
1. Backup all VMs on cluster
2. Backup all VMs on host
3. Backup specific VM
4. Backup all VMs on CSV Volume

But MS uses SMB to provide VM storage. Can you add ability to include/exclude VMs based on SMB path to VMs storage.

Or it already done in v9+ versions?

Use case: Backup all VMs on specific cluster(s) that stored on shecific SMB share, or exclude from backup all VM stored on specific SMB share.
Nail Mukhametshin | System Engineer | R&D Services Infrastructure Development | Kaspersky Lab
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Include/Exclude VMs by SMB share name

Post by Mike Resseler »

Nail,

I probably am not understanding you correctly... But if you have a cluster, which is based on SMB shares, they are visible in the first option? Doesn't that solve your issue?

You need to add an SMB3 server or SMB3 cluster hosting the necessary file shares to the backup infrastructure. Otherwise Veeam Backup & Replication will not be able to use changed block tracking for VMs residing on SMB3 shares.

You can find more information here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyperv/smb.html

Hope it helps, if not, let us know

Thanks
Mike
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast

I had added Hyper-V Cluster and SMB3 Cluster at Backup Infrastructure tab. I haв installed Veeam conponents on booth.

Names:
Hyper-V cluster - HV-CL
Nodes - HV-01, HV-02
VM - VM-01, VM-02
CSV path - c:\ClusterStorage\Volume1, c:\ClusterStorage\Volume2

When I try to create Backup job and add Objects to this Job I can do this things:
- On host and clusters:
-- Select Cluster as backup object - this mean that all VMs on this cluster will be backedup (e.g. HV-CL)
-- Select Hyper-V Host as backup object - this mean that all VMs on this host will be backedup (e.g. HV-01)
-- Select VM - this mean that only this VM on this cluster/host will be backedup (e.g. VM-01)
- On Host and Volumes:
-- Select Cluster as backup object - this mean that all VMs on this cluster will be backedup (e.g. HV-CL)
-- Select Hyper-V Host as backup object - this mean that all VMs on this host will be backedup (e.g. HV-01)
-- Select CSV - this mean that all VMs on this cluster CSV Vloume will be backedup (e.g. c:\ClusterStorage\Volume1)

And I can exclude same objects from a Job.

So I can create Job that will backup All VMs on my HV-CL and exclude VMs that placed on c:\ClusterStorage\Volume2. Or create another Job that will be backup only CSV Volume c:\ClusterStorage\Volume1. This booth Jobs will work fine and VMs in them will be the same.

Now, when comes SMB3 we have:

SMB Cluster - FS-CL
Nodes - FS-01, FS-02
Shares - \\fs-cl-sofs\share1, \\fs-cl-sofs\share2, \\fs-cl-sofs\share3

And now in v8 I can't create Job that that will backup all VMs placed on share \\fs-cl-sofs\share1 only. Of exclude all VMs placed on \\fs-cl-sofs\share3

Hope it helps :?
Nail Mukhametshin | System Engineer | R&D Services Infrastructure Development | Kaspersky Lab
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't test (on the road) but could you look at this page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... ms_hv.html and go through the wizard and work with "folders" and see if that can solve your issue? I'm not sure if that will solve it though... But it is worth a try :-)

Mike
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast

Actually I don't have v9 installed yet but I try to install it in near future and check it
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Sorry, I should have given you the link for your version... https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/ ... ms_hv.html
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast

Nail.Mukhametshin wrote:When I try to create Backup job and add Objects to this Job I can do this things:
- On host and clusters:
-- Select VM - this mean that only this VM on this cluster/host will be backedup (e.g. VM-01)
- On Host and Volumes:
-- Select CSV - this mean that all VMs on this cluster CSV Vloume will be backedup (e.g. c:\ClusterStorage\Volume1)
This my quote actually describes all varianst that I while adding backup object :roll:
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Nail,

I will bring this request to the PM table and see what it takes to do this. Won't make any promises though :-)

thanks
Mike
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast

Can you reply here when you will have any information about this request? Planned(may be with versions)/discarded/etc...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

See my reply on the other thread :-D