Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

internet traffic - different sites

Post by frankive »

we have a customer with 2 locations, connected by site-2-site vpn.
they have proxy and repository on both sides. One server on the primary site is the Veeam Server itself.
We want to leverage our cloud connect repository for this customer.
Is there a way to force the internet traffic (for the veeam backup data) to go throught their local internetline instead of that the other siste redirects the traffic at the primary site before it goes out to the cloud repository?
We want to leverage the fast internet bandwith at both sites.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: internet traffic - different sites

Post by foggy »

A picture will help to get a better idea about the setup, since it's most likely explained by the Veeam components topology. What kind of traffic goes the wrong way - host-proxy, proxy-repository, etc.? What kind of jobs are involved and what repository types are used?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Frank,
I think I've undertood what you are asking, and supposing the two sites have proper routing and dns in place, I have a feeling it may work already today. Let me explain why: during an activity, data is sent over the wire using source repositories (you said cloud connect repositories, so I believe you are talking about backup copy jobs) towards cloud gateways. At the beginning of each backup copy, VBR refreshes the list of cloud gateways, and passes it to repositories (or gateways for the shares and dedupe machines), which then contact directly the cloud gateways using either public ip or dns name. Regardless which one are used, if the vpn between the two sites is configure to route only the subnets of the other site, everything else should go over the local internet connection, and so this would happen also to the backup traffic.
I have some more doubts for the partial failover, but again unless you have a stretched network, the two sites have two different subnets, so Veeam would have deployed at least two NEA, one per subnet. But seems you are talking about backups, not replication.

Hope I've been clear enough.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

thanks Luca, the site are different subnets so if Veeam will then go straight out to the cloud connect repository (which are a 3rd internet site hosted by our partner) from both sides, this looks good.
We have not setup the solution for the customer yet, but ill report back as soon we have the network and backupinfrastructure setup. will post the results here for further forumusers.