Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Finding a deleted folder in the backup

Post by dtwiley »

We have a ~1.5Tb file server and staff regularly delete folders but they usually don't tell us for a few months. We have local backups with additional copies offsite with retention of up to 5 months (reverse incrementals). Currently its taking us a long time to work out which backup the file/folder was in last. This usually involves a process of binary chopping where we mount the most recent backup and if its not in there we mount the oldest one and then try half way between the two etc until we narrow it down to a day. This means we're mounting about 10 different backups to find the most recent copy of the data in the file level restore explorer.

We've got the guest level indexing on so we can find specific files within a backup but it doesn't show us which backup it will restore it from so we can't determine which backup set the entire folder is in.

Am I missing something? Is there a feature which will allow us to quickly identify the most recent copy of a deleted folder on the backup?

In a competitor product, whilst the software was bad, we did have a nice feature of being able to browse to the folder and then see a list of what media the folder was on and then chose one to restore from, we don't seem to be able to do this at folder level in Veeam even in the enterprise console as it'll only let you select a file not a folder.

I'm hoping i'm missing something or this will turn into a feature request ;)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Finding a deleted folder in the backup

Post by foggy »

Hi Dave, when you search for the file in Enterprise Manager and click one of the search results, in the opened dialog you can see the particular restore point this file is contained in. Isn't that what you're looking for?
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Post by dtwiley »

No, in the list of results it shows one restore point and not a list of all that its present on. If I click on it then it just says the same thing, the restore point is the same, just the last restore point which may or may not contain the entire missing folder but rather just the file that comes back on the search. It would be handy if there was a list of backups the particular file or folder was available for restore on.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you click 'Advanced search', you will be able to get a list of all restore points containing the file for the specified period.