Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jayyoo5057
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Yoo

Nimble integration with Veeam

Post by Jayyoo5057 »

Hi, this has been already posted in the past, if yes, please link to those posts if you don't mind.

I'm trying to plan the future project as Veeam will soon integrate Nimble storage.

We have a Veeam server in our main office, and back up repository in local subnet, and Nimble storage as main & production storage for VMware.

We also have Dell Equallogic in our DR site with a single esxi host.

Veeam server is in charge of replicating data from production to Dell SAN.

My question is

Would I be able to take advantages if we have Nimble in our DR site for new version Veeam that integrates with Nimble storage?

I know if I have Nimble on DR site, then we can utilize Nimble replication in real time between two Nimble. Would that eliminate the need for Veeam to manage replication?

Thank you everyone!

jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Nimble integration with Veeam

Post by jmmarton »

The Nimble integration is for the production SAN providing the VMware datastores. Given that, the integration can potentially still help the DR site by allowing you to backup VMs from the DR site if you are using Nimble SAN-to-SAN replication, and in fact you can use Veeam to take snapshots periodically on the production SAN and replicate those to the DR SAN.

As far as Nimble replication eliminating Veeam replication... not necessarily. If you're asking about whether Veeam needs to orchestrate the Nimble replication, that's up to you. But if you're asking about eliminating traditional Veeam replications jobs, keep in mind that's done at a VM level and not a storage level. This gives you the benefit of having the VMs at the DR site registered with vCenter, IP addresses changed for the DR subnet, etc. In the event of a DR situation you are able to quickly failover to the DR site, quickly spinning up the VMs. If you only use SAN-to-SAN replication (regardless of the vendor) then some manual work would still need to be done to the VMs in the DR site in order to actually sping them up.

Joe
Jayyoo5057
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Yoo

Re: Nimble integration with Veeam

Post by Jayyoo5057 »

Thank you Joe, I keep overlooking that there are so much to do to spin when failover to DR if replication is done at a storage level vs. simply turn on since Veeam takes care of every configurations required.