Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
toonruler
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

File Copy - no incremental/full backup possible

Post by toonruler » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I got a short question: Why is it possible to take incremental/full backups of files to tape but not to a nas ?
My problem is that my customer has a Windows-NAS running Windows Server 2008 SP2.
There is about 1 TB of data that I'd like to backup to another nas and then take monthly, quaterly and yearly backups to tape.

Regards,
Harry
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: File Copy - no incremental/full backup possible

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Harry,
That`s because VBR is a data protection solution for virtual infrastructures, while NAS to NAS backup is a pure physical operation. File copy is not the most popular function of VBR.
Now having Veeam Endpoint integrated with VBR repositories you can use it for full/incremental backups of files.
Thanks!
toonruler
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by toonruler »

Hi Shestakov,
sorry, but that's not the answer to my question.
I wanted to know why incremental and full backups of files to tape is possible, but not to a nas. I can't see the difference here.
I'd love to use Veeam Endpoint for this situation but as I already mentioned the Server is only 2008SP2, not R2 ...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

File to tape job is a completely different type of job that uses its own logic that was not propagated to the (older) file copy job.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And even for file to tape jobs the primary use case at the time of implementation has been to archive VB&R backups. In other words, alternative to backup to tape job that is available for owners of standard edition. Thanks.