Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

FTT Username Password Incorrect/Unable to Enumerate

Post by rreed »

Case #01971129. I have a number of FTT jobs, all pointed to the same CIFS share on a Dell DR4100, each job pointed to its own subfolder that is a repository. Those all work fine, I'm able to run FTT jobs pointed at my *.vbk's all day long.

Same device\share, a couple of other subfolders w/ *.bak files in them, these jobs failed at first w/ "Username or Password is incorrect." It's scanning the subfolders within because it'll say "out of x-number subfolders, 0 of 0 files backed up" and takes a couple minutes or so to walk down through and come back w/ 0 of 0. Folder permissions are confirmed the same, even ran View Effective Access in Windows Explorer from my tape server, logged in as our Veeam service account, all comes up clean. I can pull down copies of my source files all day long. I can change/delete all day long. Same folder permissions as my working jobs, just a different file extension. Also checked down to the file level permissions.

Support engaged via above case #. They had me change my tape server's Data Mover Service from local system to Veeam service account. It now immediately throws "Unable to Enumerate files in folder <share>."

Might need some additional help please.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: FTT Username Password Incorrect/Unable to Enumerate

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'm curious what'd be the result if you placed a .bak file into the same folder where your .VBKs reside at and tried to grab the .bak by FTT job?
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Excellent point; it worked. Folder permissions, down to file level were the same. I even tried adding our service account to the problem folder, full control, still immediately bombs out.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

Some operations, like enumeration, may be performed by the Installer service instead of the Data Mover service.

That said, it is possible to specify credentials for specific shares so that you don't have to worry about service account permissions, it's just a matter of convincing the job wizard to display the pop-up.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2171
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Ergh, case got closed over the holiday, will need to re-open. Support/dev was supposed to be investigating whether or not Veeam is able to traverse subfolders in a FTT job (which I hope of all things it can do please) and get back to me in email. I never heard back and was out of town for turkey day before I could respond to the robot's follow up emails.

That was a difference pointed out in my working jobs - all point to files in the job's root folder - but my failing to enumerate jobs have to traverse subfolders to go find their files. There is question as to whether or not we're supposed to expect this to be a function of Veeam in FTT jobs.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That was a difference pointed out in my working jobs - all point to files in the job's root folder - but my failing to enumerate jobs have to traverse subfolders to go find their files. There is question as to whether or not we're supposed to expect this to be a function of Veeam in FTT jobs.
FTT job should descend into subfolders to search for files that qualify for backup by mask that has been specified. If that does not happen in your FTT jobs that must be a bug, so please mention that once you open another support case.

Thank you.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

New ticket to re-open old ticket, #01992328. Thanks PTide, I was hoping for sure it could do that. :D
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

So my ticket to re-open case #01992328 was closed w/o notification, showing it as "merged." What does merged mean, why didn't I receive any notification, and why is my new ticket to re-open my old one also effectively closed please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

As I can see from the case the engineer has already replied you and scheduled a WebEx session with you. Please keep us updated on the results.

Thanks
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed » 1 person likes this post

Yep, a software glitch. :wink: Will report back results.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
djmc
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Declan McCann

[MERGED] Backing up a CIFS share located on EMC VNX Filer

Post by djmc »

Hi,
When creating a file to tape job for a CIFS share what user does Veeam use?

I am trying to backup a CIFS share which is located on an EMC VNX filer.
In the File to tape job I specify the UNC path to each share, the job runs ok but I see messages saying that it could not enumerate some files and folders. When I look at what was backed up there are a lot of empty folders.

I am running the backup via the proxy server, I have logged on to this server as a domain admin, which is also in the backup operators group. I have logged into Veeam as the same user.
When running the backup which user does Veeam use, I was not asked to enter user credentials when creating the file to tape job?

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

While entering UNC path, you should have got a credentials prompt. Does the account specified there have right permissions set on a given share? Thanks.