Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Email Notifications Via Gmail Failing To Send

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Is anyone aware of a change to the Gmail system? All of our endpoints are failing to send email notifications. This appears to have only started in the last 16 hours.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Email Notifications Via Gmail Failing To Send

Post by Mike Resseler »

Alex,

I am not aware of a change in the gmail system... Do you have something stated in event viewer (under applications and services log -> Veeam endpoint backup)?

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Windows Event log wouldn't say much about this (as there are no special events for email notifications). I would definitely suggest to review your service log, as it is hard to guess what's the reason without seeing proper logs info. If you need an assistance with logs review, please contact our technical team. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

AlexLeadingEdge,

Try to send an email from non-gmail account to the address used for notification to check the delivery. Double check that you enabled ‘Allowing less secure apps to access your account’ option, just in case
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Turns out that Gmail have changed the rules about the number of logins in a single 24-hour period in an effort to stop / slow down spammers and hackers. We had all our servers sending email notifications of backups via a single Gmail account to the relevant people (external network administrators, internal IT people, secretaries, etc), and within the first few hours of Monday the notification emails were being blocked because the maximum number of logins had been reached.

Over the weekend very few backups are done while no one is around so the block was able to time out. I expect it will return some time today.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Alex,
Thanks for coming back to us. That is not a pleasant rule but I do remember that other providers have done this also.
* Do you have any idea what the limit now is. Can't seem to find the exact number when I google (pun intended ;-)) it.
* Are you thinking about creating multiple google accounts now to solve this? (Like one per service or so...) or do you have other plans to solve this issue?

Thanks
Mike
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Mike Resseler wrote:Thanks for coming back to us. That is not a pleasant rule but I do remember that other providers have done this also.
* Do you have any idea what the limit now is. Can't seem to find the exact number when I google (pun intended ;-)) it.
* Are you thinking about creating multiple google accounts now to solve this? (Like one per service or so...) or do you have other plans to solve this issue?
Hi Mike,

2000 Messages per day.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852

We plan to move everyone over to our own SMTP server as it would be cheaper in the long run due to per account costs. We're thinking an Intel Atom box running CentOS would be fine.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Alex,

And yes, having your own SMTP server will probably fix this but of course gives you another piece of infrastructure technology to manage... But then again, you won't have those limits anymore :-)

Thanks again for the information, I'm sure other users on this forum will benefit from it

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Alex!

Thanks a lot for sharing the source! I'll ask our team to create a KB for this limitation for further reference.