Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
jason.millan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Millan

Re: Nutanix AHV

Post by jason.millan »

+1 for AHV just think the money customers are saving on Vmware they can use to buy another backup solution. Hurry up Veeam!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Not to start a holy war, but for now I think these customers will need these money elsewhere ;) it's hard to argue that KVM does need some catching up with VMware in terms of functionality, and lack of features directly impacts TCO (at least if we're talking about the enterprise segment that Nutanix aims).

That said, I do see a potential for Nutanix to become the next VMware, at least if a few things happen and a few stars align. May be the chance is not that high in absolute numbers, but probably the highest among everyone else.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 2 people like this post

Honest question, if you are using Nutanix AHV because it's cheaper than VMWare, have you looked at Hyper-V instead given that it has a free edition that has all the features of the paid-for version. And Hyper-V is supported by Veeam :)
mrecob
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Recob

Post by mrecob »

I am a new Nutanix with AHV owner. Would love it if VEEAM added AHV to the list of supported hypervisors.
msundling
Lurker
Full Name: Mattias Sundling

Post by msundling »

Same for me as all others on this thread. Currently VMware shop but just bought a new block which will run AHV. Long term we will migrate everything to AHV.
Will evaluate backup solutions shortly and it would be great if we could keep Veeam as we are happy with your product.
tfindelkind
Lurker
Full Name: Thomas Findelkind

Post by tfindelkind »

Hi, I do have dozens of customers who are waiting right now that VEEAM supports AHV. With Asterix there is a backup API which can be used. It follow the design principles of Change block tracking.

Best regards,
Thomas
tsun8824
Novice

Post by tsun8824 »

+1 for AHV Support.

Currently we sell vmware/veeam solutions but are evaluating alternatives in the storage/hypervisor area. We have had an excellent experience with veeam and want to stick with it when going Nutanix AHV. Most of our new customers typically order 3 servers. We sell about 3-5 new solutions each year in the small and medium-sized business segment. For us AHV provides all the features our customers need.
Jeff L

Post by Jeff L »

Just adding another Voice to "please support AHV" crowd.

I *really* don't want to swap veeam out for comvault! (which is what management are thinking)
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

Raising some of the points addressed earlier in this thread... presumably you went with AHV rather than VMware or Hyper-V to cut down on costs? Wouldn't switching from Veeam to Commvault offset those savings? So would it make more sense to go with one of the other hypervisors instead for your Nutanix solution?

Joe
pupo888
Lurker
Full Name: Pupo Pescatore

Post by pupo888 »

+1 on AHV support. In regards to the comment about switching hypervisor to save cost we are moving to Nutanix for the cloud like functionality that it will bring to our business. Being able to stop paying for vSphere is desired as AHV has the features that we need. In regards to backups we have been using Veeam to backup 40 esxi hosts for the past 4 years but are gradually switching to AHV on our new clusters starting in January. Management is open to considering other backup software (probably Commvault as they're offering to give us a credit as a buy back for Veeam, though we also have NetBackup for physical servers) but I would much rather stick with Veeam. My understanding is that the new version of AHV now has a CBT API as well.
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird » 1 person likes this post

For small shop VMware Essential Plus is so expensive ???
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

@Pupo I find it curios that availability is almost an after-thought for your management. Sounds like their attitude here is "we're going with this new platform, and will figure out how we're going to protect it later". For me, it would be one of the first thing to consider. Perhaps they are assuming that the unique combination of Veeam's feature set, ease of use, reliability and price is going to be easy to find elsewhere? Big mistake - Veeam would not be as successful if it was so...

Hypervisor cost savings are nice of course, but the very first downtime that you won't be able to recover from in a timely manner will eat through those savings in a few hours.
pupo888
Lurker
Full Name: Pupo Pescatore

Post by pupo888 »

Hi Gostev,

Not so much an after-thought but rather that they feel that if the current solution does not support it others do. They do not see things the same way as I do in that they have no preference whatsoever. It's purely a utilitarian decision. The built-in replication and secondary cloud-based backups would also work but I would like to see an indexed backup solution. Realistically I could use network based backups but I would rather not. An integrated solution would be preferable, and a CBT-based solution would be even better.
darryl.crossley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Darryl Crossley

Post by darryl.crossley » 1 person likes this post

+1 for Nutanix AHV and Veeam.
I've been championing Nutanix + Veeam for a LONG time now. As a Veeam and Nutanix channel partner here in ANZ, this makes so much sense. 90% of our Nutanix customers use this combination today, the same questions arise time and time again around backups - CommVault adds complexity, this reduces the simplicity messaging instantaneously. Veeam is the obvious choice.

Just starting with backup from Nutanix snapshot would be a great start, then look at AHV.

It makes sense for Rubrik to integrate with AHV, I hope Veeam can do the same.
AlexSV
Lurker
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexSV »

+1 for AHV support. We use veeam to protect our small (3 hosts) shop, but for now, when our new Nutanix cluster arrived, we are looking to CommVault or other solutions that supports AHV. Veeam is the best backup solution in the market, and I hope for AHV support in future releases.
aagrapart
Service Provider

Post by aagrapart »

Hi,

I am also really impatient that AHV be supported by Veeam B&R for the VM backups. We love Veeam but if our customers demand continues to grow we will be forced to sell an AHV compliant product...

Thanks,

Anthony
Yannis
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hi,
+1 for Nutanix Acropolis support ! Please :)
Yannis.
jame
Novice

Post by jame »

Many of my customers using actually Nutanix+vSphere+Veeam, they are all waiting Veeam to support AHV to mooving away from VMware. With last announcement from Nutanix with CBT-like API for AHV, lots of backup solution announced they will support AHV in short time. It is strange that a leading company like Veeam on backup market, didn't announced something like that (and seems to not want to go to this market).
Maybe money save from VMware will permit customers to go to a more inovative backup solution like Commvault or Rubrik.
I'll really hope Veeam will announce something shortly.
Thanks,
Jeremy
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 4 people like this post

Don't get this post as a harsh comment, but I know a bit the pricing that Nutanix solutions have, and how much is the VMware licensing, so what is the overall savings of moving from one solution to the other?

If it's license savings, plus the will at the same time to keep Veeam, customers can go even today with Hyper-V, since it is fully supported by both Nutanix and Veeam. And from an architecture standpoint, it avoids at the same time a lock-in in a proprietary solution. A different reasoning would be if you tell me that AHV has some features that are needed by customers and that VMware has not, but I only keep reading that the reason is to save on VMware licensing...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
markus_kujala
Lurker
Full Name: Markus Kujala

Post by markus_kujala »

Hi dellock6,

I'm an SE at Nutanix, and I've seen both cases from this thread several times:
1) Customers want to go to AHV and are looking for a great backup solution at the same time, and currently the strongest contender is Commvault
and
2) Customers already have VMware + Veeam, and will move to AHV, but would like to keep the Veeam solution if possible.

License savings is one reason they want to go to AHV, but it is not the only one. Another reason is the ease of use associated with AHV. The Nutanix platform + AHV combination honestly is much simpler to use than other hypervisors. If you haven't seen it, I can show it to you over a 15 min webex (or visit our booth at a tradeshow where we both are present, for example). Switching ESX for Hyper-V does not include this benefit. Some might even argue it's a step in the wrong direction.

Another reason is support -- if you go to AHV, your whole stack (storage, servers, hypervisor) are made by the same vendor and supported by them. Sure, we support customers running other hypervisors as well, but we can't, for example, fix software bugs in the other hypervisors.

Some customers also want to specifically avoid going to Hyper-V for various reasons. And yes, the hypervisor cost is a real reason as well for many.

If you don't mind my asking, why would Veeam NOT want to support AHV? I understand you need to "sell what's on the truck", ie offer the solutions that work right now, I would do the same. But if you look at this thread, it might also make sense to add AHV to the near term roadmap? I believe it would benefit both companies, and it's difficult to see a downside for anyone? The business is there to pay for the software development required.
Markus Kujala
https://twitter.com/markus_kujala
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

markus_kujala wrote:If you don't mind my asking, why would Veeam NOT want to support AHV?
Purely business considerations (current AHV market share and growth numbers). Since you're from Nutanix, just ask around internally for some sales figures ;)
twlytle
Novice
Full Name: Tom Lytle

[MERGED] Re: Is Veeam doing anything in KVM space?

Post by twlytle »

As a long time Veeam customer I would request that Veeam re-thinks it's position regarding Nutanix. Like Veeam, Nutanix is a great product. Any product that helps IT this much should be taken seriously. One thing to think about is Nutanix is not an inexpensive option. So the argument that "nobody would spend money on Veeam if they are using KVM or Nutanix is false in my opinion. The other point I would like to make is that With Nutanix, best practices still apply, the need for a backup solution still exists. Another point Veeam is missing, there is a lot of angst in regards to VMware's licensing and VMware's unwillingness to fix licensing errors (even when it is VMware's fault). If Veeam supported Nutanix's Accroplis, it would find that there would be a much faster adoption of KVM/Nutanix. Just think, the money saved on VMware licenses would enable more nodes and more Veeam licenses! It's a win, win!

Final word, no, I do not work for Nutanix. I am both a Veeam and Nutanix customer.

Thanks

Tom
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: [MERGED] Re: Is Veeam doing anything in KVM space?

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

Seriously look at Hyper-V, it's awesome and works with Nutanix and Veeam :mrgreen:
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

+1 for AHV support by Veeam.
Veeaming since 2013
markus_kujala
Lurker
Full Name: Markus Kujala

Post by markus_kujala »

Gostev wrote: Purely business considerations (current AHV market share and growth numbers). Since you're from Nutanix, just ask around internally for some sales figures ;)
I believe the point many here are trying to make is, that if Veeam supported AHV, it would bring significant additional growth for both products. At least that is what it looks like out here on the field.
Markus Kujala
https://twitter.com/markus_kujala
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sure, I understand that. But if you compare ROI of this feature to ROI of other features of similar scale we're currently building, AHV support stands no chance at this time. If as a developer you had a choice of building a condominium in Manhattan or in some small upstate city at the same cost to you, what would you choose?
virtuozzi
Lurker

Post by virtuozzi »

As far as i can tell, most customers need a stable hypervisor, ha and maybe DRS. Since KVM is being pushed by the community, red hat, projects like openstack etc. and finally AHV, the hypervisor itself becomes more and more taken for granted. There's a big chance that virtualizaton will be perceived "built-in" soon in every pc, not to mention on server hardware.

Veeam would miss a great chance to be one of the first and most versatile provider of backup solutions, which have been missing in the OSS sector for a long time.
But maybe that's the point, that some circles don't want OSS/kvm/openstack to take this leap... :P
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

I gotta admit I am having déjà vu reading your post, as it so reminds me of the similar pitch for XEN Server support here about 5 years ago. I am so happy we did not distract ourselves for adding support for that one, unlike some of our competition - who ended up being "one of the first" with a useless solution.

Let's wait and see if KVM does any better ;)
romx
Novice
Full Name: Roman Khmelevsky

Post by romx »

Disclaimer: a Nutanix employee here.
Just believe me, It's not an organized rally here in this forum thread :)
Our installed base just doubled in 2016 and we awaiting for more in 2017 (https://yadi.sk/i/ivsPkZejzD585).
I know the situation with Veeam releases and planned features, so I can just ask Veeam to pay a bit more attention to AHV in your future realises. Our custmers base will grow and wast majority of our customers LOVE Veeam B&R (your support team too!) and like to stay with Veeam as their backup solution.
d.bonini
Novice
Full Name: Dario

Post by d.bonini »

cuchanski wrote:+1 for this feature request.
Will look to migrate our cloud environment once Veeam can support AHV backup / existing tool set.
+1 for me