Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andylad9
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Moss

Backup Copy Exchange Archive

Post by andylad9 »

Hi Everyone,

I’d appreciate some help getting my head around creating restore points for archival purposes with Backup Copy. It will be for our Exchange server.

I would like to create some archive restore points over a 6 month period.

The server is backed up nightly with 30 restore points. Backup Copy (sent off-site) set to copy every 1 Day, keeping 60 restore points with 6 monthly points for archival.

Am I right in thinking this mean I can:
-Restore items/server to any last 30 restore points from backup job
-Restore items/server to any last 30 restore points from backup job and then the 30 before that from copy job.
-Restore to only a single point every month for last 6 months (first Sunday)

I realise this might not be the best approach to start so I thought I’d seek some help and recommendations.

Appreciate the assistance.

Thanks

Andy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Exchange Archive

Post by foggy »

andylad9 wrote:-Restore items/server to any last 30 restore points from backup job
-Restore items/server to any last 30 restore points from backup job and then the 30 before that from copy job.
-Restore to only a single point every month for last 6 months (first Sunday)
Correct, your settings allow to restore exactly how you've described.
andylad9
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Moss

Post by andylad9 »

Thanks Foggy. I appreciate the clarity it's certainly helped. Couple more questions...

- If I include 1 weekly to this backup copy job, I assume this gives me a weekly point over the whole 6 months period (24 points in total) and still my 6 monthly points?

- If I wanted to recover a mailbox from 5 months ago I'd have the choice of either month 5 and 6 or each week within month 5?

- Are these archival points just a normal restore point for that specific day?

- What happens on the days when the restore point, the weekly and the monthly are all scheduled to take place/clash on the same day?

- Any suggestions on forecasting the storage requirements on this setup. 30 points currently is 3.5TB

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

andylad9 wrote:- If I include 1 weekly to this backup copy job, I assume this gives me a weekly point over the whole 6 months period (24 points in total) and still my 6 monthly points?
With just 1 weekly you will have a single weekly restore point at any time. To have 24 of them, you need to set the number of weekly restore points to keep to 24.
andylad9 wrote:- If I wanted to recover a mailbox from 5 months ago I'd have the choice of either month 5 and 6 or each week within month 5?
With 24 weeklies, yes.
andylad9 wrote:- Are these archival points just a normal restore point for that specific day?
Each GFS restore point is a separate full backup as of the day it was created.
andylad9 wrote:- What happens on the days when the restore point, the weekly and the monthly are all scheduled to take place/clash on the same day?
The same restore point will be marked as both weekly and monthly.
andylad9 wrote:- Any suggestions on forecasting the storage requirements on this setup. 30 points currently is 3.5TB
Please use this tool for space estimation.