Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frhell
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Francesco

Veeam Backup to Azure

Post by frhell »

Hi, i would like to planning backup from a on-premise Veeam with 6TB of data to an Azure Vault repository in cloud. I have a 20MB connectivity plan: there is any method to seeding first Full backup into Azure cloud storage? Microsoft DPM 2012R2 have a seeding on a external hd feature built-in trought delivery service like DHL or similar...
There is similar concept in Veeam?
Thanks in advance.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Backup to Azure

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You can assign a Veeam repo role to your azure VM, place your full backup to some drive, place that backup into veeam-cloud-VM-repo, map your backup job to that full backup. Thread related.

Thank you.
frhell
Influencer

Post by frhell »

I must to have a VM in azure to store my full backup? Can i write directly to azure vault storage in Azure? I have read the thread but i don't understand how i can seed my USB drive with initial full backup to azure direclty...i have to ask Microsoft to do this? Thanks in advance.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That's right - you need an azure VM in order to setup it as a repo. Maybe there is a way to map an azure storage with a seed inside as a disk/folder to an existing veeam repo, but the most common practice is to have a VM in azure.
frhell
Influencer

Post by frhell »

Ok, for the seed i have to contact Microsoft?
There is any integration like Microsoft DPM 2012r2 to prepare external HD for intial full back-up and then send disk to azure?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Ok, for the seed i have to contact Microsoft?
I'd contact Azure Support and ask them how you can place your .vbk seed onto your azure storage.
There is any integration like Microsoft DPM 2012r2 to prepare external HD for intial full back-up and then send disk to azure?
Here is a brief sequence:

- make full backup with VBR
- place that .vbk on some HD
- agree with microsoft on how you can place that .vbk on your azure VM's storage
- add that VM as a repo, map backup job, continue with incrementals.

As you can see the only requirement that you need to meet for successful backup is to have enough space on your external HD, no extra preparations needed.
frhell
Influencer

Post by frhell »

thanks for your reply...
Anyone have been made experience like this with cloud provider like Microsoft Azure?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just wanted to add a couple of things to this thread:

- If you want to upload data to a VM in Azure, then you can use this free tool to do that > Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure
- If you're referring to blob storage and storing backups over there, then please take a look a this existing thread > Seeding into Azure
- If you would like to have an offsite copy of your backups in addition to storing backup locally (short term retention), then I would suggest to take a look at this page where you will find a list of service providers which might provide Azure Storage as a repository for your backup copy jobs via Cloud Connect infrastructure.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Test bump.
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kellen Flood

Post by Kellen.Flood »

Veeam Team,

Was there ever an update on this? We have some remote offices with 3-10TB of Data but spotty 10-20Mb MPLS connections out. We are looking to put data in Azure but we obviously cant sent that much data across that connection. Is there a seeding process?

2nd possible option. Could we use Veeam Direct Restore to Azure?..
Backup lcoally compressed and deduped
Direct Restore to Azure
Convert or make sure that VM is now an Azure Repo for Veeam
Go through seeding process
Incremental moving forward

Is that possible, or is the 3-10TB too much data?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Kellen,

Since the topic is rather old, let me double check what particular information are you looking for? Would you like to make an Azure VM a repository or to make use of Azure blob storage?

Thanks.
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast

Post by Kellen.Flood »

@v.ermin It would be both.

OPTION1
Azure VM...
According to the MSFT documentation around import and export services, it looks like it can only be imported from a physical hard drive into Azure Blob.
Could we then move the local Veeam backup files from Azure Blob into Azure VM and designate it as a repo to do seeding and incrementals?

OPTION2
would be direct backup into Azure blob. Restore times are not a concern, since if we are going to blob, the building and colo would be gone.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Could we then move the local Veeam backup files from Azure Blob into Azure VM and designate it as a repo to do seeding and incrementals?
It should be possible, given some utility is leveraged to copy data from blob to VM disk.
would be direct backup into Azure blob.
Currently, it's not possible. However, we've got similar requests already, so, thank you for the feedback.
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast

Post by Kellen.Flood »

@v.ermin. Does Veeam plan to test this or provide documentation vs us trying to figure it out? In regards to the seeding.

I am sure many customers are wondering the same for Azure and Veeam.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In regards to the seeding.
Seeding to Azure VM disks is no different than ordinary seeding. So, I don't think it's worth writing a post about it.

Two-step seeding (blob -> azure VM disks) is another store as it requires usage of additional utility. Thinking about a blog post regarding it, I'm not sure how popular and demanded this article will be.

Thanks.