Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cdlane
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Lane

SQL Logs - .VLB - Cloud Connect

Post by cdlane »

Hi All,

I'm looking at turning on the Log Transaction backup as we currently just truncate the logs, not back them up.

Once backed up, are these .VLB's sent to the off-site storage too?

Best regards,

Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL Logs - .VLB - Cloud Connect

Post by foggy »

Hi Chris, currently transaction logs backup files are not processed by the backup copy jobs. However, if you mean direct backup jobs to remote repository, then yes, VLB files will be stored there along with the backups.
cdlane
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Lane

Post by cdlane »

Hi Foggy,

Many thanks. I will switch it on and watch the magic!

The reason I asked the question was our remote repository account is quite full and I didn't want to tip it over the edge.

Best regards,

Chris
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by SteelContainer »

foggy wrote:Hi Chris, currently transaction logs backup files are not processed by the backup copy jobs. However, if you mean direct backup jobs to remote repository, then yes, VLB files will be stored there along with the backups.
Hi Foggy,

Are there any plans to support VLB files with the backup copy jobs?

Thanks,
Cullan
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Cullan,

I am not aware of the plans so I will leave that open for Foggy :-)

But I would like to know what your business case is for sending the log files over with a backup copy job. In most of designs, the first backup is the short term one (e.g. 7 days) and in that case log files are important. But the BCJ to a secondary repository or location is mostly for some longer period and therefore I have enough with the daily SQL backup.

How do you see this? (I always like to hear business reasons, requirements etc... for other designs... ;-))

Thanks
Mike
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are there any plans to support VLB files with the backup copy jobs?
It's not included in 9.5. Further plans are yet to be determined. Thanks.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Could a file copy job be used to copy VLB files to another destination?

Joe
SteelContainer
Service Provider

Post by SteelContainer »

Mike Resseler wrote:Cullan,

But I would like to know what your business case is for sending the log files over with a backup copy job. In most of designs, the first backup is the short term one (e.g. 7 days) and in that case log files are important. But the BCJ to a secondary repository or location is mostly for some longer period and therefore I have enough with the daily SQL backup.

How do you see this? (I always like to hear business reasons, requirements etc... for other designs... ;-))
Hi Mike,

Sure. We actually keep the same retention in all of our sites (28 daily backup jobs) then we have backup copy jobs running the same retention offsite (28 daily) ie SiteA > SiteB, SiteA > Site C, SiteB > SiteA, SiteC > SiteA.

We could use something like SAN replication but that would increase our storage costs and also open up the failure domain, we are quite happy with the way the backup copy jobs work it's just that it would be nice to get the VLBs included in the copy jobs. We don't offer log backup via Veeam to our IaaS clients currently due to the fact we would need to copy the entire Backup Job Chain offsite to meet our onsite/offsite requirements.

Thanks,
Cullan
SteelContainer
Service Provider

Post by SteelContainer »

jmmarton wrote:Could a file copy job be used to copy VLB files to another destination?

Joe
Hi Joe,

As I understand it I would need to run a File copy on the entire backup chain as well as the VLB files. That is too much data to keep in sync.

-Cullan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Could a file copy job be used to copy VLB files to another destination?
You could use a file copy job to copy .vlb files to another location. However, it would be useless action, as logs could be replayed on original restore points only, not on secondary synthesized ones. Thanks.