Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DusanM
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Dusan Mataruga

Backup Job For Monthly Backup

Post by DusanM »

Hi everyone.

We have been using Veeam software for a couple months now and it works just fine.

What I cannot figure out how to do is this:

I would like to have a full backup of a couple servers every month for a year. So nothing between, no incremental backups, just full backup once a month and to keep it for a year..

I googled and searched this forum, but I could not find an answer how to create a backup job to do this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dusan
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Job For Monthly Backup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If you want to keep 12 separate full backups aside from your primary job then you should stick with Backup Copy GFS policy. In case if you don't want to have a Copy Job and want to create just fulls directly from the source then you can set the retention policy to 1 or leverage this cmdlet in order to create a PS script that starts Full backup and deletes those that are older than 1Y and schedule it to start once a month with a help of Windows Task scheduler.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additional backup job with monthly schedule, 12 point retention and always full type of setup might be also a valid option. Thanks.
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

Wouldn't it be possible to achieve this through backup copy job too? just select the server you want to keep, enable the monthly retention.... with this scenario you would at least have 2 incrementals, as the backup copy job does not allow less.. but the benefit would be you don't stress your production system again with monthly full backups, instead (if you have allready backed up the machines) you can copy things together from normal backup repository!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Wouldn't it be possible to achieve this through backup copy job too?
It would, that's exactly what Pavel's suggested in his reply. Thanks.