Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
booktrunk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephanie

NSS Volumes

Post by booktrunk »

Hi.

Does Veeam Support Microfocus NSS Volumes on OES Servers (Novell)

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: NSS Volumes

Post by veremin »

File level restore from such volumes is possible. If that's what you're asking for. Thanks.
booktrunk
Novice

Post by booktrunk »

Thank you.

Yes I think that's what I am asking is that for 32 Bit volumes only, Does it do file level restore on 64bit filesystems?

Thanks
booktrunk
Novice

Post by booktrunk »

Thanks for your help. Looks like it won't be suitable for file level restore as i'd at least have AD Support. So it would have to be a case I guess of spinning up a VM in a DMZ and copy the data off.
Novell OES

File-level restore is supported for Novell Open Enterprise Server (Novell OES). Novell NetWare is not supported (Veeam Backup & Replication may fail to detect NSS volumes).

Restore of NSS file/folder permissions is not supported.

Only 32-bit versions are supported. 32-bit NSS volumes with Active Directory support are not supported.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

And to add additional context, our FLR for any Linux filesystem comes from a small Linux helper appliance that we deploy. That appliance currently has the NSS modules from SLES 11 SP2. As a result, it doesn't understand the new NSS pool media formats from OES 2015 when you either AD-enable a volume or create a 64-bit NSS volume. As long as the volume is 32-bit and isn't AD-enabled then the modules understand everything and mount the volumes without issue. But with either of the new features you have to use the workaround like what's mentioned in the other thread.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

You will see updated documentation in v9.5 and notes in the release notes showing the new support. The 32-bit limitation for NSS FLR will be removed from the docs (if any traces remain please submit document feedback one v9.5 ships so that it can be updated). The only limitation that remains is permissions, but again that's easily worked around using metamig via a pre-freeze script and that's only for the cases that might come up where you need this.

Joe