Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Backing Up ESXi Host Configuration

Post by paallergy » 1 person likes this post

I know how to backup the ESXi host configuration using vCLI and vicfg-cfgbackup.pl.
Is there a way to backup the ESXi host configuration using one of Veeam's products (preferably Backup and Recovery)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Backing Up ESXi Host Configuration

Post by Gostev »

Please see existing topic:
Backup ESX 4 Server
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

paallergy,

Why don't you use vMA appliance to perform the backup of the ESXi host and configurations ?
using:

Code: Select all

root@vMA ~# vicfg-cfgbackup --server ESXi01 -l BackupESXi01-new
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Post by paallergy » 1 person likes this post

It's a little ironic that a backup company (Veeam) would say that backing up makes no sense :)

VMware thinks the configuration is important. VMware internally backs up the configuration hourly, and provides vCLI and other means of backing up the configuration.

As I said in the OP, I know backing up the configuration can be done through vCLI (or vMA). What I was hoping for is a little option somewhere in Veeam B&R that says "also backup host configuration" (similar to "backup system state) so that I have all backup information in one place.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

What's more ironic is that we actually had a product to do this (Veeam Configurator, now discontinued). It had very few customers, and those who bought it, mostly bought and used its for other functionality. So we know for sure backing up ESXi host configuration generally makes no sense (at least we verified ourselves that there is no need for this type of solutions on the market besides rare exceptions).

Yes, VMware actually added Host Profiles in vSphere, which do essentially the same thing...