Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
andriktr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrej

Failed to invoke func [GetHostInformation]

Post by andriktr »

Hello,
I don't know why, but my topic (created on 2016.01.28) with the same question was deleted from forum without any notification :(. So I will repeat question and guess that it will not disappear more.
Few days ago we upgraded Veeam to version 9 and first day backups completed without any issues. But next day backup for few VM failed with this error:

1/28/2016 9:34:53 PM :: Failed to inventory guest system: Error code: 0x800706ba
Failed to invoke func [GetHostInformation]: The RPC server is unavailable.. RPC function call failed. Function name: [BlobCall]. Target machine: [ip adress].
RPC error:The RPC server is unavailable.
1/28/2016 9:40:59 PM :: Error: Error code: 0x800706ba
Failed to invoke func [RegisterIndexJob]: The RPC server is unavailable.. RPC function call failed. Function name: [BlobCall]. Target machine: [ip adress].
RPC error:The RPC server is unavailable.
Code: 1722

Tried to reboot problematic VM and rerun job but unfortunately without and success.
Thank you for help in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failed to invoke func [GetHostInformation]

Post by foggy »

Andrej, your post was deleted since it violated forum rules for posting technical issues (please review those, they are available right when you click New Topic). Unless you provide case ID, this post will also be eventually deleted.
andriktr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrej

Post by andriktr »

Ok it's clear now.
P.S.
Resolved issue with changing guest interaction proxy server.
dlieshout@client.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: DaLi

Post by dlieshout@client.nl »

"Resolved issue with changing guest interaction proxy server."

What did you exactly change to make it right? I have the same issue on brand new installation first backup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can change the guest interaction proxy server at the Guest Processing step of the job wizard.
dlieshout@client.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: DaLi

Post by dlieshout@client.nl »

Changing the Guest Interacting Proxy tot the Veeam Backup Server (with disabled "normal" Proxy Role) did help my issue indeed. Thanks.

But still I am wondering why another active proxy can not handle this correctly all the time. I see Backups of VM's on other VLAN's were sometime the Proxy starts immediately backing up the disks and sometime a Guest Interaction Proxy is used. It is not consistent when Veeam decides to bring in the Guest Interacting Proxy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It comes down to VMs network availability from this or that server. In case guest interaction server selection is set to automatic, Veeam B&R decides on which server to use. If you set the guest interaction proxy in the job explicitly, Veeam B&R should stick to it. If you feel selection algorithm does not work as expected, feel free to investigate with the help of support.