Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
peeky1323
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Peek

Seeding Backups

Post by peeky1323 »

Hi,

We are migrating our infrastrcuture to a new datacenter.. There is new kit on the new Datacenter. We are using Veeam Replication to replicate the VMs as there are 20 and some are large (1-2TB). This way we can migrate in stages. Once there we will be using Cloud Connect to backup back to the original location. We wanted to seed the backups in the cloud conenct by backing up the replicas before they fail over, then once failed over the cloud backups will already contain a full backup. However we are seeing that a new vbk is created as the VM is seen as a new VM and not mapping to the seed. Is there a way to overcome this?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Peek
VMCE 2021
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Seeding Backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Matt, just to clarify: you've replicated VMs to a new DC and willing to back them up back to the old one, right? So you backed them up where - in the old or new location?
peeky1323
Service Provider

Post by peeky1323 »

DC1: Veeam Backups of VMs to local disks. Separate Cloud Connect server in this site
DC1: Replcaited VMs from DC1 (not failed over yet). Will fail over and then back up locally, and also wanting to copy job backup to CLoud Connect in DC1.

I forgot to point out that all DC2 kit and DC1 are in the same location now.We seed the replication jobs and then are going to move the kit to the new DC so wanted to try and seed the cloud backups ... hope that makes sense.
Matt Peek
VMCE 2021
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

So you've backed up replica VMs and want to use these backups to seed backup copy jobs from DC2 after moving new kit there. If you've mapped the backup copy jobs the the right backups, everything should be fine. I recommend contacting support to review the setup more closely.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Your scenario is a little confusing to follow, but I think it comes down to wanting to use Veeam backup files as a seed for a new backup copy job (BCJ) to a Cloud Connect Repos? If so you have to create the seed files from an auxillary BCJ. it is explained here -

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... liary.html
peeky1323
Service Provider

Post by peeky1323 » 1 person likes this post

ok I see what the issue is. We are replicating to a stand alone host, and then unregistering and registering the VMs once failed over into a vCenter server, this is changing the IDs of the VMs. I found a veeam utility to fix this.

THanks for your help.

Matt
Matt Peek
VMCE 2021