Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Full Backup Size (tape forecasting) Report?

Post by rreed »

Morning, all. Demo'ing ONE v9, need to know how much space our full backups are taking up on our repositories so we can know how many tapes we'll need to cover - like tape forecasting. I've been through all the VBR reports but don't really find anything that just gives a repository report broken down by full vs. incremental, which would also be great to help give us an idea of top N VM churn. The latter of which I thought was in v8 but it's been a good year + since we demo'ed v8.

Any help please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Full Backup Size (tape forecasting) Report?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

You can review this data for each repository in the Monitor Client -> Data Protection tab. As for the reports, then take a look at this one > Backup Inventory

Thank you!
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Ah, there it is! Excellent, thanks. Now, I need to customize it since we don't move all our full backups to tape. While it's great to know our overall footprint, we don't archive all copies of redundant servers (like multi-TB Exchange servers, domain controllers, etc.) to tape. Any way I can customize either the Data Protection View or the Backup Inventory report please? For the Backup Inventory report I can see in Scope I can pick my backup server, but nothing else. I don't find any way I can customize the Data Protection View in Monitor. All I need is to tell it either to exclude repository folders, or backup jobs.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Customization for the Monitor UI is not possible. Can you please tell me the criteria you use to decide which backups go to tapes and which don't?
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Pretty much everything, full backups (*.vbk doing File to Tape), except we only send one of our two Exchange servers, only half of our Active Directly related servers, and another single mutli-TB server that never changes we don't send to tape at all. Each of our Exchange servers is on its own dedicated job, and repository, and folder each, at that. Same for AD servers. The old giant never-to-tape server is also in a dedicated job/repository/folder. And some misc. test jobs/repositories/folders. :) But really, that's it. I pretty much need to be able to select/unselect items on the fly.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Reporting is pre-build, selecting which data to show depending on the role of the VM(?) is not possible. My question was mostly about how this can be automated with Veeam ONE, if it is completely random (cannot be analyzed by Veeam ONE), then you should probably combine data from different reports manually (for example, using the report builder functionality).

Getting back to 9.5 question, we will have a custom backup infrastructure report, then should give you maximum flexibility when building the reports.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

For our need it wouldn't be completely random, it's more like this month/quarter/etc. I need to know how much space is used for File to Tape jobs A, B, and C. Next month/quarter I might need FTT jobs A, C, D, and G. If that makes sense.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If I understand the use case correctly, then this report should help here > Backup Jobs Historical Information

Let me know if that helps!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

My 2 cents, I would recommend checking Veeam Backup Files Growth which allows you to choose particular backup jobs and summarizes total full and incremental backups sizes.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

rreed,
Glad to inform we have released Veeam v9.5 with new Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report.