Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
tacioandrade
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Tácio Andrade

New features for future versions

Post by tacioandrade »

First of all congratulations on the new version of the agent I really enjoyed it, fast and even being a beta is functional in my rationalization environment and in a production environment along with the backup solution in use today.
I would like to point out to you that in the future versions add the following functionalities:

* Sending e-mail as the new version for Windows - Util to backup my personal VPS where I do not integrate with VBR;;
* Policy configuration of backups with option of several executions during the day like for example every 12 hours;
* Creation of a repository for Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and RHEL, I say this because it would greatly facilitate the maintenance of packages always updated in our servers;

With these features the version for Linux will look as good as for Windows, completely dislodging all the competition. =)

Sincerely, Tácio Andrade.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: New features for future versions

Post by nielsengelen »

For e-mails you can rely on scripting right now. However adding it via the GUI makes sense.

In regards to multiple backups per day; you can use crontab for this. How would you like to see this adopted within the program?

A repository should be on the way when we go GA as this is a common request. However with the beta this isn't active.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

In regards to email notifications - you can find a custom email script in this topic.

Thanks
tacioandrade
Enthusiast

Post by tacioandrade »

Very good, thanks for the information, I configured the system in dialog and did not see these options so I asked.
Now in the morning looking deeper I saw how to configure via commands and run via crontab and make customizations, this will help a lot.
But who knows in the future this is not integrated with the manager in dialog. :)
priet
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Riet

Post by priet »

I'm testing the product now. So far, it's looking very great!

There's one thing I'm missing: when you backup to a VBR server, you can see the agent appearing under Backup & Replication --> Jobs --> Agents. When I click it, the details of the last backup can be seen. What I don't see there is the date of the backup. I can see that the backup completed in less then a minute, but not what date or time it happened! Was it today? This morning? Yesterday perhaps?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi Peter,

That's a valid request, indeed.

Thanks for the feedback!
tacioandrade
Enthusiast

Post by tacioandrade »

I thank you for the team's willingness to improve the tool and help users. Not all development team has such great interaction as the Veeam with its users by little I have seen.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

I guess there is no other way to make the product better than to interact with users :)

Thank you for your kind words
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale » 1 person likes this post

what about a special edition of VBR, which would only act as local repository with veeam cloud connect? :)
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Do you mean a standalone version of VBR repository that would not require VBR to function?
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale » 1 person likes this post

PTide wrote:Do you mean a standalone version of VBR repository that would not require VBR to function?
No... I'm talking about VBR that would only have Backup repositories + Service providers functionalities. (without managed servers and proxies). It's already possible to use existing VBR, but you have to pay for at least 1 standard CPU.... you could also add new license like non-host version or something ..... I'm not saying that this version should not have price :)
tacioandrade
Enthusiast

Post by tacioandrade »

bc2011 wrote: No... I'm talking about VBR that would only have Backup repositories + Service providers functionalities. (without managed servers and proxies). It's already possible to use existing VBR, but you have to pay for at least 1 standard CPU.... you could also add new license like non-host version or something ..... I'm not saying that this version should not have price :)
I understood what you want, in this case it would be a version of Veeam Backup & Replication, but it works only with agent centralizer, giving you a single interface to centralize the backup of all the workstations of a company for example, Presented errors, etc.
If I'm not mistaken with a Veeam solution, I'll do something next to it, but to use it, I have to have practically the entire Veeam One environment or something (I'm not a Veeam expert, I know little about the solutions yet, I do not work both with Hyper-V and VMWare, my biggest focus is XenServer and KVM).
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

There is a difference between central management and the cloud connect part.

In regards to central management we'll have the Veeam Availability Console which will allow you to manage these agents however we provide an API as well to perform this (or in case of Linux automation tools like puppet, ansible, chef,...).

In regards to the cloud connect part, this may be something on the long run however I'm sure we'll find an interesting way in regards agents & cloud connect repositories.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen