Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Domain Trust Relationships and SureBackup

Post by bg.ranken » 1 person likes this post

Does anyone have any experience dealing with domain trust relationships and SureBackup? My issue that I'm seeing now is that occasionally a computer on a domain decides to reset it's computer password some time in-between when it is backed up and when a domain controller is backed up. This means that during the SureBackup job the machine has a trust relationship problem since the password the domain controller has is different from the computer.

It's really annoying and so far I haven't been able to find any fixes. Has anyone else ran into this same problem and perhaps has some recommendations to fix this during the SureBackup job or prevent it overall without disabling the automatic computer password change for domain members?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Domain Trust Relationships and SureBackup

Post by foggy »

Hi Randall, I recommend to make sure computer account password change doesn't occur within the "unwanted" period when backups run (not sure how it is controlled within AD though). Besides SureBackup, this might also affect ability to quickly restore and actually SureBackup has done its work showing that there's an issue with the backup.
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Post by oliverL »

This technet-page says every 30 days the machine account password gets reseted automatically:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.11).aspx

Reading this part, it might help you to get your restored VMs to talk again with the Active Directory:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sudhak ... snapshots/

Greetings!
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Post by bg.ranken »

foggy wrote:Hi Randall, I recommend to make sure computer account password change doesn't occur within the "unwanted" period when backups run (not sure how it is controlled within AD though). Besides SureBackup, this might also affect ability to quickly restore and actually SureBackup has done its work showing that there's an issue with the backup.
Yeah, that's why I was asking around. From all my research there doesn't appear to be a way to control what time of day it resets the password so it is stuck being completely random. I was hoping with all the other Veeam users someone might have found a fix, but at this point my only solution appears to be disabling the password reset altogether. It's annoying for SureBackup jobs but even worse in the event we needed to do a quick restore or instant recovery of a server. While not hard to fix if it does occur it's basically a random increase in RTO which might end up hurting us down the road.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also extend the MaximumPasswordAge to lower the probability of such issues.