Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jmiker919
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Rodgers

No keyboard or mouse at restore panel

Post by Jmiker919 »

I'm testing VEB using a Windows 10 machine. I've had the media wizard(?) create and burn the bootable media to DVD, twice. I also had it create an .iso file and I burned that to disk.

When I boot to any of the disks Windows loads and then the VEB restore app displays - but it's frozen solid. No keyboard, no mouse, nothing. I'm trying to restore to the very same machine that created the media (only a different hard drive).

I used the same DVD and was easily able to create a virtual machine in my Hyper-V server - so I know the media is ok.

I'm clueless as how to diagnose this. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: No keyboard or mouse at restore panel

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mike,

How your mouse and keyboard are connected to your computer? Any chance you are using some kind of USB hub?
Jmiker919
Influencer

Post by Jmiker919 »

No, both connected to the back USB ports.
I think I'll try booting it without either being connected and then connect them once it's fully up. Just for fun.

Thx.

*edit: As expected, booting then plugging in mouse and keyboard didn't work.
Jmiker919
Influencer

Post by Jmiker919 »

Is there any way to have the media creation wizard automatically select the Bare Metal Recovery option so that would execute upon loading? As it is I really have no way of knowing whether it's *just* the keyboard and mouse not working, or if the computer is actually locked up.

Perhaps some options in a command line?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mike,

Sorry for delay. We do support devices connected via USB during Bare Metal Restore, when drivers are collected from original machine. Please make sure that recovery media was created on the same computer while both devices are connected, with an option collect drivers checked (its enabled by default).
Perhaps some options in a command line?
Nope there is no such option.

P.S. Any chance these devices are USB 3.0 only?
Jmiker919
Influencer

Post by Jmiker919 »

Keyboard and mouse, USB 2.0, are connected during the media creation, and the collect drivers option is selected. I also made a recovery media on a USB drive, it loaded and froze at the exact same point as the DVD.

I'll see if I can find a W7 machine to try.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Mike. Let us know the results and please do not forget to open a support case. Since the behavior is not expected, I would like our QA folks to take a look at your logs.