Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

VEB: Restore with 9.5 to Hyper-V but not to VMware, why?

Post by hoFFy »

Hi,
just a short question: Why is it possible to do a direct restore to Hyper-V but not to a vSphere environment?
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEB: Restore with 9.5 to Hyper-V but not to VMware, why?

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Just because you can enable Hyper-V role on any Windows Server and quickly recover VEB to a VM. In other words you don't need to be "prepared" for this DR at all (don't need to buy hypervisor license keys, install it etc.), and you would even be able to use a free version of Hyper-V. However, using fully licensed vSphere hosts also makes sense in some scenarios. Hope it helps!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

It was the logical first step:

1. Universal solution for everyone vs. a solution only for those with VMware infrastructure. We always try to deliver the universal solution first, even if it is not ideal or optimal in certain scenario.

2. Development costs. It is no secret that Microsoft Azure is based on Hyper-V, so 90% of IR to Hyper-V code simply reuses the existing Direct Restore to Azure code. I am talking about the most complex part of the process, the actual P2V conversion (or do I say P2H here).
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy »

Universal because one doesn't need a license for Hyper-V.. okay.
But if I'm in a VMware only infrastructure I don't want to activate roles which I will never use again except for this one usecase. If I already have a virtualized infrastructure with VMware, why should I also start using Hyper-V?
I always thought that you invested a little more power into VMware than in Hyper-V, but your answers sound like you don't plan to realize this feature also for VMware, don't you?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We shall see.

Can you clarify the need for a license for Hyper-V?
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy »

I'm sorry Gostev, I haven't read your answer very attentive.
We misunderstood each other. I didn't mean that you need a license for Hyper-V.
I meant that I can understand that you call it a universal solution, because everyone can use it without buying an extra license or deploying a new physical host with free ESXi.
Yes you are right, its always the first step to recycle things that are already there (restore to Azure), instead of developing everything from scratch.
Btw.: is the process so extremly different than restoring an Endpoint clients disks to a VMDK, which is already possible? And the code to create a new VM is also already there. Don't get me wrong, I'm no programmer, just an enthusiastic admin of many VBR installations out there :lol:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, there are significant difference due to a different virtual hardware of the target VM. Meaning that even if we put development costs aside, QC effort required to test how all the different flavors of physical hardware convert to a new type of virtual hardware is pretty huge.

Coding is always the easiest part - it is getting the code to production quality that usually takes 10 times longer. Because unless it works reliability for the majority of your physical backups, you won't trust such restores in disaster situations anyway.