Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Feature Request - SureBackup Deeper Mail Server Test

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

In SureBackup, the SQL test option goes further than just a simple port test, it lists services, enumerates databases, and runs a query against them.

The Mail Server test is only a port 25 check. I would like to see either this test expanded, or a separate test for Exchange Mailbox server, that will look for mail stores, ensure they are mounted and that mailboxes are available.

I completely had these two backwards and was trying to use the Mail Server test against my mailbox servers and it would fail, when in reality, these are the only two servers in my Exchange infrastructure that do not have Port 25 available, so I had to reverse everything.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature Request - SureBackup Deeper Mail Server Test

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If you want to perform some deeper testing you can use your own custom script.

Thanks.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I want Veeam to write the custom script... :o

I also think "Mail Server" should be renamed to "SMTP Server" as I expect Mail Server to be the one that holds the mail, not the one that transfers it via SMTP. Or just put the port number behind it that you are testing "Mail Server (Port 25)"
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

New features (e.g. scripts) are added when there is either a high value in them a or a lot of demand. Let's wait for other users to see if such custom script is really needed. Meanwhile you can post the request on the Powershell subforum where community members share their PS scripts.

Thank you for the feedback.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Thinking about Microsoft Exchange there are some additional parameters which could be checked.
On the other hand not everyone is using the same feature set and also from version to version you have different services.
Perhaps it would be best to include a wizard to add checks for different ports and services?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

If you Google "Surebackup Exchange Test Script" you can find several of them from the community.
For example this one:
http://itmorsels.blogspot.de/2013/04/ve ... hange.html
I think this will as well work when you "only" start one Exchange DAG Server without witness share.