Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frinnst
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fredrik

[rant] It's sunday and I have to mess with veeam license

Post by frinnst »

Q: How the product is licensed?
A: Per physical CPU socket of "source" hypervisor host (where protected virtual machines reside). Destination hosts for replication and migration jobs do not need to be licensed. Hosts running virtual machines which are not being processed by Veeam do not need to be licensed, even if they are a part of the same cluster.
Yeah Right. You might want to update that. If not - why am I licensed per VM?.

Friday: veeam automagically updated the license on our backup server. Sweet, one less thing for me to worry about.
Saturday: Alerted by 2 backup failures from two different backup sets. Hmm, strange. Oh well it's Saturday and its my f*king day off. no big deal.
Sunday: Alerted by backup failures on the same two VM's. F*ck. My day off but that is unacceptable. This needs to be resolved now.

So fire up a management VM at home, remote in via VPN to have a look.. Open up Veeam license information and behold: "Managed VMs (vSphere) 104 (106 used)

Thats strange. When looking at the portal it says I pay for 107 VMs yet when I click "Update now" in the license information box it says I'm up to date. Woooonderful. So now i need to bother my boss because that's who the key is emailed to.

Thanks veeam!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: [rant] It's sunday and I have to mess with veeam license

Post by Gostev »

frinnst wrote:Yeah Right. You might want to update that. If not - why am I licensed per VM?
Perhaps because you are a service provider? We have the dedicated private forum for those, please apply to Cloud & Service Provider usergroup here. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: [rant] It's sunday and I have to mess with veeam license

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Fredrik,

Best thing you can do is to contact our support team. They can help you to solve this very fast. This forum is not part of Veeam's Support or License organisation (no people from those departments monitor this forum closely).

If you PM me and send me your license owner email address, I can look up the license info. THX.

Andy