Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
gregr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg

Hardware monitoring and VM power status for Hyper-V hosts

Post by gregr »

Hello,

Is there any way to use Veeam to monitor hardware failures for Hyper-V hosts (failed power supply, hard disk, fan, etc)? It works great for VMware, but there are no hardware options for Hyper-V!

Also, there is no alarm for Hyper-V VMs being in the powered off state. There is for VMware, but not for Hyper-V!

Thanks,
Greg
gregr
Novice

Re: Hardware monitoring and VM power status for Hyper-V host

Post by gregr »

This is for Veeam ONE version 9.5
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Greg,

Yes, you're correct that there is no native mechanism (similar to hardware sensors) for Hyper-V, however do you see any Windows Event log entries when there is a hardware failure? I bet there should be something in the Windows Event log that we currently collect.

As to the alarms, then we have it for Hyper-V as well:
What's New wrote:• VM shutdown by host alarm: This alarm is triggered when a VM is shut down by a Hyper-V host. Users can start using the alarm by enabling it in the Veeam ONE Monitor Client.
• VM shutdown by guest alarm: This alarm is triggered when a VM is shut down by a guest operating system. Users can start using the alarm by enabling it in the Veeam ONE Monitor Client.
Can you please confirm that they are enabled in the UI?

Thanks!
gregr
Novice

Post by gregr »

So I would have to create a custom alert looking for a specific error code for a hard disk failure?

I have those two options enabled, but it doesn't cover every scenario (if a host is rebooted and the VM does not start). This makes it not a viable option. I need to ensure that the VMs are in a running state. Being warned about how they were shut down doesn't really help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to verify that this event is captured by Veeam ONE server. I can help you with this by looking into our "white-listed" events data table. Will let you know, once I have more info.

If you want to verify if all productions VMs are running, just run, for example, this report > VMs Configuration, to verify the power state.

Hope this helps!