Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ckbrou
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chad Brouwer

Orphaned NetApp LUNs created by Veeam?

Post by ckbrou »

Case # 01982357

I just noticed I have many LUNs on my NetApp array that have no connected initiators. When my backups run I do see 2 of them connect but the others appear to be old and unused.

These are only visible in NetApp System Manger under LUNs - they do not show in VMware.
Names like "Veeam_Datastore_a1_Backup" "Veeam_Datastore_a1_Backup1", all the way to "Veeam_Datastore_a1_Backup6". I created a support case but while I am waiting to hear back I wanted to check and see if other NetApp users are seeing the same thing. Maybe this is normal?

Were these a result of failed backup jobs or recover from snapshot jobs perhaps months ago? Am I able to safely offline and delete these LUNs?
ckbrou
Enthusiast

Re: Veeam constantly creating/destroying LUNs on NetApp

Post by ckbrou »

I see my post was merged but I am not sure that the issue is the same. I see the rescans as well but those LUNs have the suffix of "_Rescan" and they do go away when the rescan is complete. These LUNs that I am seeing have the suffix of "_backup"...
ckbrou
Enthusiast

Post by ckbrou »

Still hoping for some feedback from my NetApp experts out there. It does appear that this is a different issue than the thread it has been merged into.

Should I start a new thread? I don't see a way to contact the forum moderator.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Chad, this doesn't look normal, so please wait for the logs review by our engineers. I believe you can safely remove these LUNs.
OzerS
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ozer Salman

Re: Orphaned NetApp LUNs created by Veeam?

Post by OzerS »

Hello ckbrou, were you able to get an answer to this? I have a similar issue. Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Orphaned NetApp LUNs created by Veeam?

Post by foggy »

Ozer, please contact tech support for the logs review. Chad's case was closed due to the problem was not reproduced anymore, so opening your own case is recommended.Thanks.