Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

VM backup schema report

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi
For a customer we're troubleshooting backup performance, they state their backup window is too long. This customer has about 28 jobs for a total of 190 VMs, so rather small amount of VMs per job. Each job takes about 15-30min, most time seems to be spent on communication with vCenter, snapshot, reconfigure, etc. Sometimes these jobs get tell me the bottleneck is at the Target side for 95%.

To investigate this in more detail, I would love to get an overview at VM level over all jobs, on what the actual start and end time. In this way I can also see how many VMs are being backuped at once at any given time. Since they have all jobs start at 20:00 / 20:01 / 20:02 / 20:03 .... / 20:30, some jobs are waiting for 5hrs. So the job time is not useful to me.

Is there an easy way to get this out of VEEAM B&R or the Free VEEAM ONE?

Gabrie
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VM backup schema report

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Garbie!

I would suggest Backup Job Historical Information report.
It`s not available in the free version though as well as other backup reports. The job report inside Veeam B&R product doesn`t have detailed information either.

Are you on a free version?
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Looking at the examples, it won't give me what I'm looking for. I'm not so much interested in the job, but in the start time per VM. The issues is that all jobs start within 30min, then they are all waiting for resources to become available to perform the backup. So most jobs have a start time of 20:00 or 20:05 or later, but they actually start making a backup at 22:00 or 23:35, whenever resources become available. Therefore I need the time that the backup of the specific VM starts and ends.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Per-VM information can be found in the report`s drill-down. Have you also checked it?