Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Hyper-V Veeam Backup Proxy

Post by micoolpaul »

Morning all,

Saw somewhere the other day that someone in the absence of any "free" appliances/Linux veeam backup proxies was using the free Hyper-V OS to have instances on their servers to improve hot add backups.

I can't find the link anywhere and searching the forum for anything to do with "Hyper-V proxy" is turning up nothing. Has anyone done anything like this, if so how successful do you find it? Was there anything unexpected you discovered? Is this a breach of licensing?

Thanks!
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Hyper-V Veeam Backup Proxy

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'm not sure if I got it right - do you want to use a VM as a proxy for vmware infrastructure, or you want to setup a hyperv proxy role on a hyperv VM? Please elaborate.

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael, assuming that you're able to setup a Veeam backup proxy on the Windows Server Core machine, then you can use this VM as a hotadd proxy. BTW, why do you want to do this? What's your current job bottleneck?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Technically this will work, but I cannot advice on Microsoft licensing aspect of this approach. There's most definitely an existing discussion on this around here...
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Post by micoolpaul »

Hi,

I'm purely after using it as a proxy VM as I've got 4 physical servers so I'd like to leverage the benefits of using hot add on each physical server without spending on 4x Windows Server Licenses for dedicated proxy VMs.

I'll have to look up more on the licensing side of things but good to know it's technically possible. I know I read it somewhere but searches are coming up empty on the end result!

Thanks,
Michael
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard