Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

SQL Server architecture

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm starting to delve deeper into SQL Server protection & hitting some roadblocks that have me scratching my head a little re: potential architecture decisions.

I've just discovered that, in order to be able to use any of the "clever" bits of SQL U-AIR, then the SQL server I run VB&R on needs to be of a suitable version:

A) Needs to at least be of the same version of the DB that you are needing to restore from (e.g. Config DB running on SQL 2008 can't be used to restore SQL 2012 data)
B) Needs to at least be able to mount the SIZE of the DB you're wanting to restore (e.g. if using SQL express, then even if you have the latest version (of express) installed, if the DB you're wanting to restore is over 10Gb in size then you basically can't.

We're currently on v9 and will be waiting a little while before we move to 9.5 (we're never bleeding-edge users) so in the first instance, is it straightforward to consider upgrading our current DB to at least 2012 express?

Secondly, even if we do move up to 2012 express, that obviously won't resolve our >10Gb db requirements so until we (potentially) upgrade to full SQL for the B&R server DB, are our only restore options definitely limited to: Instant VM recovery, do a SQL backup within the restored VM, then make that backup available to the original VM by copying/moving the files around or is there some other workaround I'm missing?

So in short, am I correct in believing that U-AIR SQL restores are unavailable to me for anything newer than my installed Veeam (Express) DB version, or larger than 10Gb?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Re: SQL Server architecture

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ahh, I've just discovered the concept of the "staging server" so am looking into how that can work :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, staging server is what you need to address this.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

Yup, just completed a successful DB test restore (to a file at least) so I know I've at least got the version side of things covered, just waiting for an additional backup to test a >10gb restore for completeness then I'll be a happy bunny!

My faith in Veeam is restored once again! :-D