Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rborhara
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: rakesh borhara

Veeam backup to a dedupe / replication or Backup Storage Svr

Post by rborhara »

I wonder if someone can give me insight on what im trying to do

I have a Veeam 9.0.2 running on Physical server connected using 10GB ISCSI to a dedicated Switch wherre i have the Equallogic SAN, ESXi hosts and my Dell DR4000 (datadomain equivelent Dededupe / replication) unit

At my remote site I have another Dell dr4000 and therefore these 2 units replicate to each other once the backups have finished.
There are a few quirks with the Dr4000 unit in that we need to run a Cleaner util on there where it reclaims space to put back in the pool i belive this is chekcing for dedeupe files.
When the cleaner service is running replication and backup write speed take a considerable hit.

My Dr4000 comes End Of life n 2 years, but im at a stage where im down to 1.5GB free space and have a need to backup more in the same windows, Veeam is Enterprise Only ( i do not have the WAN replication feature)

1. I can purchase 2 x expansion models (each 8tb unit that allows upto 24tb using 3:1 ration ) for each of my sites or
2. I purchase 2 x Dell Server servers that come with 48TB with raid 10 setup for the same money as 2 x dr4000s and lifeline of this product being upto 7 years with Dell warranty

Cons.
The Dell dr4000 dedupe and replicate out the box so i would need the availability suite to allow me to replicate my 2 x backup respositories

Thoughts OS wise im guessing purchase Server 2016 setup REFS and install the deupe option would this be a better / faster backup method and would i get similar dedupe and replication perfomance tat matches or surpasses the dr4000
Does 2016 REFS and dedupe need some tasks running on it to keep the data storage space levels intact.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Veeam backup to a dedupe / replication or Backup Storage

Post by jmmarton »

Personally I like option #2 in conjunction with ReFS. ReFS will help you save space. In addition you can use Backup Copy Jobs to copy your backups to the secondary target and this gives you the flexibility of choosing how many restore points you want to have on each repository. If you go the hardware replication route then you are forced to have the same restore points on each. Also, if you ever upgrade to Enterprise Plus, then BCJ can also leverage the Veeam WAN acceleration.

Joe
rborhara
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: rakesh borhara

Post by rborhara »

The idea is my replica backup repository is pretty much a Mirror of my primary repository in the event of a data center loss. What does WAN acceleration offer over BCJ?

Any concerns of with the dedupe and REFS i need to be wary off ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's a good thread re: ReFS, worth reviewing. The first thing you need to know, it doesn't dedupe.

And here's more on Veeam B&R built-in WAN acceleration.