Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bright
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bright Day

Error 513 on long backup

Post by bright »

Hi,

I cannot report an issue via "Technical Support" button in Veeam Endpoint Backup because it says my email address is not registered, although I received verification email and got "Thank you, your email address has been verified successfully.". So, that also does not work.

To the original problem is that backup of a 3 big folders (total around 1TB of files) failed after 13 hours of work with:

Code: Select all

"27.11.2016. 7:41:41 :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to write data to the file [\\xxx1\Backup\Backup Job xxxx\Backup Job xxxx102016-11-26T200652.vib]."
Curious thing is that SMALLER folder backup (35 GB) succeeds after 20 minutes without problem.

In the windows application error log I have

"Event 513, CAPI2
Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.
"
What I have tried:
1) "vssadmin list writers" in command prompt executed as admin succesfully lists "System Writer" in the list. Looks that is not a problem.

2) Tried the fix from "https://justworks.ca/blog/fix-event-513 ... ows-backup" and waiting for backup to finish (14h!) to know if that worked:

"sc sdset MSLLDP D:(D;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BG)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;SO)(A;;LCRPWP;;;S-1-5-80-3141615172-2057878085-1754447212-2405740020-3916490453)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Error 513 on long backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Let me ask our support team to contact you over the email you've specified in your forum user profile, as it is almost impossible to troubleshoot these kind of issues over the forums.

Thank you!
bright
Novice

Post by bright »

Thank you!

Someone contacted me over the email and I have sent my contact details, now waiting for the contact.
Seems that permissions in the post above helped to remove the error "Access denied" from windows log, but the backup is still failing after 23h 56minutes.

Update on what new I have tried:

1) In the windows error log I saw a message about idle timeout of Volume Shadow Service (VSS) that was auto shut-down after 24h.
Therefore I have applied registry fix described here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 2147217396
Adding the DWORD registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Settings\IdleTimeout, and setting it to the number of seconds you want VSS to wait in an idle state before shutting down. Default is 180 seconds.
I have set it to 0xffffffff and have restarted PC.

2) In WLAN router I found a setting "DHCP Server Lease Time" that is set to 1 day. I changed that to 10 days.

I plan to use IP adress instead of server name of NAS that hosts a backup shared folder, and run the backup again.
It is quite slow though, to copy 750GB in more than 24h, because if I use normal copy-paste it takes about 2.5 hours, averaging about 80 MB/sec.
I have intel i5 CPU with 4 cores, CPU is mostly under 30% utilised. Throttling setting in Veeam is disabled.
So it is quite strange that backup uses only about 10MB/sec of bandwidth and 25% of CPU and takes more than 10x slower than copy-paste.
Sounds like algorithm problem, like backup time grows exponentially with number of files. Like there is "missing index" in some internal search loop (therefore it scans all items for every new item), to use database terms :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What's your case ID? This will help us to track the troubleshooting process.
bright
Novice

Post by bright » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for asking. I could not create a case because that option does not work in Veeam Endpoint Backup as described in the first post, and I don't know the other way of doing it.
Someone from Veeam called me, was very polite, he does not seem to be someone from support, more sales I would say, so he could not help much.
But, here are the good news:
A solution for me was to switch to "Volume level" type of backup. That works almost as fast as copy-paste, around 70MB/sec on average, finishing after 3.5h - very good!
On that drive are some folders I do not need to backup, but their size is so much smaller than folders I need to backup that it is not a problem, and I can also move them to other drives later to save a bit of backup space.
I am very happy user, this system works, and I will recommend it to everybody that needs a solid and effective backup!
The things I like:
1) it can store username/password to access a shared drive, so it can be used as a cryptolocker-safe backup (because nobody would have write access to backup except that account, and no human would ever login with it except veeam, so cryptolocker cannot touch my backups)
2) it holds multiple versions of files. That is important because it cryptolocker encrypts original files, and they are backed-up, I can restore a version before it was encrypted.
3) compression - first backup is big. But next backups are tiny because I assume it stores only differences. So next backups take almost no space, and you have e.g. 14 days every day backup that totals as 1 day backup. A super way to save backup space.
4) Uses VSS - files in use are copied too.
5) It is as fast as a copy-paste.
6) It is free.
Could not be better.
But I would use file-level backup only if it is small, like <100GB, and for everything bigger use volume-level.
Cheers!