Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fast_cat
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Backup Hot add and storage DRS

Post by fast_cat »

we use vsphere Storage DRS clusters and by default we keep VMDKs together.

We also use Veeam Proxy with hotadd mode.

It seems that when the backup runs, the vmdk gets hot added to the proxy VM - thats fine as expected... but a vcenter event gets logged - 'Configure Storage DRS' ? ..initiated by the Veeam service account running the backup...

The main issue is that after all of this completes the VMs that have had their disks 'hotadded' are left in the 'VM overrides'list of the Storage DRS cluster with 'Keep VMDKs Together' set to No which is not the default for the storage DRS cluster. Its as if the Veeam backup/ hotadd process is not setting the VM back to 'keep VMDKs together'

Has anyone else seen this issue or am I missing something ?

regards
Rob
fast_cat
Influencer

Re: Veeam Backup Hot add and storage DRS

Post by fast_cat »

ok,

so just to add another question -

Can anyone explain why Veeam causes events to be logged in vcenter which suggests Veeam is 'Configuring Storage DRS' ?

I have done the equivalent of a hot-add outside of veeam and there is no config change to the storage drs cluster. However when veeam is running it seems to reconfigure the storage cluster containing the VMs that are being backed up.

any thoughts ?

regards
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC » 1 person likes this post

Did you upgrade to 9.5? I had this same issue with 9.0 U1 and reported it and got a patched version of some files. Not sure if that was included in U2 or not. I've upgraded to 9.5 and have not had the same problem.
fast_cat
Influencer

Post by fast_cat »

Thanks for the info. I am currently running Veeam B&R 9.0.0.1491. So looks like I need to upgrade