Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lmillington
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Levi Millington

Efficient Offsite Backups

Post by lmillington »

We want to store offsite backups for one of our clients, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

We're a small MSP, and our client is a small accounting firm. Therefore, our internet connection capacities are minimal. We have data caps and slow upload speeds to work with (10 mbps).

Here's the current setup:
  • Veeam backs up VMs to a local iSCSI device. We currently have Veeam creating backups every 6 hours, forward incremental. Total dataset is around 2.5TB
  • Client has tons of local storage on different appliances (iSCSI, and NAS SMB)
  • We have a server at our office on which we want to store offsite backup copies of the client's VMs, connected to the client via VPN.
Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome. Our goal is to keep at least one day retention of the client's backups offsite at our premise. Again, minimal bandwidth and low data caps are an issue. We're looking for the most efficient way to accomplish this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Efficient Offsite Backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Levi, the most efficient will be to use backup copy jobs with WAN acceleration and pre-seeding the initial copy (subsequent runs will sync only changes).
lmillington
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Levi Millington

Post by lmillington »

We started using that exact method, but found the transfer took several hours, and jobs would not complete within the copy interval. Veeam support suggested disabling WAN accelerators which seems to have helped, but I'm nervous about the amount of data being transferred now. I'm sure it will be far more than our monthly data caps allow.

I should mention we're using version 9.0.0.1491
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If that finally results in the shorter backup window, then it is acceptable, right? Remember, you can enable network throttling in case you need some bandwidth available for other traffic. Btw, what bottleneck stats were reported by both accelerated and direct backup copy jobs?