Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
pmansfield
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Feature Request - Backup mailbox by type or wildcard names

Post by pmansfield »

I appreciate the product has just gone GA, and I'm sure there is a load of work going on behind the scenes to improve it further, but I wanted to add my tuppence!

Would it be possible to backup mailboxes according to some 'rules'? At the moment, we can backup either all mailboxes, or we can manually create batches of mailboxes and keep updating those backup jobs every time we need to add a new mailbox or remove a non-existent one.

What would be useful is to have some supersets of mailboxes (all user mailboxes, all resource mailboxes, all shared mailboxes), and/or the ability to backup mailboxes based on wildcard names (for instance room* to backup all mailboxes whose names start with 'room').

In a similar way, I backup datastores in B&R to capture any newly added VMs rather than having to manage backup jobs to keep adding and removing them.

But thanks for the product, and especially the free licenses for existing B&R customers!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Backup mailbox by type or wildcard nam

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Good request! I will take this with me to the discussion table. As always, I don't promise anything (it might be more difficult to do than saying it) but it is certainly worth checking. How do you look at them today? Do you use PowerShell to query them? Or the UI?

Thanks
Mike
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Post by pmansfield »

At the moment, I don't back them up. I've been looking at various options, but hadn't settled on anything.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Sorry, probably wasn't clear from my side... How do you query them for information in your subscription today? Through the O365 PowerShell or the O365 UI from Microsoft.
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Post by pmansfield »

A bit of each to be honest, depending on what it is I want to do.
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Post by mcrape »

Just to sort of 'tag on' to this request, some sort of filter on the mailbox based on the GAL details (Company, city, etc.) would be handy. We have what is effectively a multi-tenant setup and ideally I would like to create jobs based on the 'company' attribute. If I could filter based on 'company = acme' and then add all of those mailboxes to one job, that would helpful.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks Matt, this kind of feedback is really useful.
mbf
Lurker

[MERGED] Filter users automatically in backup job

Post by mbf »

Hello

Is it possible to filter which users to backup? Ex: Group 1:students, group 2: employees

Filter has to be automatically updated on parameter:userpricipalname so I dont have to filter list every day before backup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's currently no such functionality, but your request is accepted.
MikaelG
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikael Gustafsson

[MERGED] Feature request: Filter email by domain

Post by MikaelG »

Hi,

We are part of a global tenant and only want to backup our domains email. Now we have to select each mailbox manually and not forget to add new mailboxes as they are created. We need to be able to filter by domain.

Thanks,

Mikael Gustafsson
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Mikael, this falls into the filtering requests, so I'm merging your post into existing thread. Thanks!
MikaelG
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikael Gustafsson

Post by MikaelG »

Is this filtering capability on the roadmap? For us it´s a crucial component to be able to use the O365 backup agent. Another approach would be to let you select a group to backup. The you can create a dynamic group in O365 based on your needs and let Veeam back the mailboxes based on that.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mikael,

This thread here is being investigated. So we are looking into certain things. Groups is one of those examples. Search inside the wizard is also one of them. Others are a bit more challenging (like the GAL considering we query Azure AD through the O365 subscription and not straight to Azure AD)

But we are investigating and any new idea or request you have is welcome. If we can find easy ways of making life easier for the admin, we certainly won't hesitate ;-)