Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vgeek
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Josue Del Valle

Understanding what to do in a DR scenario.

Post by vgeek »

Hi,

I've been using Veeam for a while but now while trying to put a DR plan together I'm having a few questions I realized I don't know the answers.

I currently have multiples VMs being replicated to a DR site. I also do backup copies. I need help understanding the following:

What is the procedure to restore backup copies if there is a disaster and I no longer have access to the Veeam server? I know the Replicas will be on a ready state to be powered on but I am not sure how to restore from the copies.
Do I need to restore the Veeam DB and Configuration to another server either local or at the DR site?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Understanding what to do in a DR scenario.

Post by foggy »

Hi Josue, you can install a fresh Veeam B&R instance anywhere in DR and then either import Veeam B&R configuration to be able to further restore from backup copies or simply import backup copies to the new instance and perform restores.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

By the way, why not to install backup server in DR server and control everything from it? If production goes down, the backup management server will still be there ready to perform whatever activity you want to (be it failover or restoration task). Thanks.
vgeek
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Josue Del Valle

Post by vgeek »

Thanks for the reply.

One thing I do is to backup Veeam configuration to DR. Good to know my options.
v.Eremin I never thought about that. I will look into it. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Actually, this is a recommended approach. Having proxy and repository servers at production environment should isolate traffic, and having proxy server at DR site should allow traffic cross link in compressed and deduplicated state. Thanks.