Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wilkins44
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jay Wilkins

V7, VMware SSO, and PSOD

Post by wilkins44 »

I've not found much of anything on this out on the internet, so I'm hoping that someone has an idea what could be causing our problem.

Our V7 environment was working through it's normally scheduled jobs like usual, about 2 hours after it started, our VMware SSO server went unresponsive, and the remaining Veeam jobs failed. The tell-tale signs there was an issue with the SSO was that all of the failed jobs came back with an error in the report that said something along the lines of invalid username or password, and no one could log into vSphere. Someone signed into the SSO server, restarted the SSO service, and everything was good again. Unfortunately, since this is V7, there's no Snapshot Hunter, so there were a handful of "VEEAM TEMPORARY BACKUP SNAPSHOT" still hanging around, including one on a 13TB VM. The following night, Veeam kicked off, one of our hosts started generating NMI errors, and then PSOD about 20 minutes later.

I'm certain that upgrading from V7 to V8, V9 or V9.5 would solve the lingering snapshot issue, but I have no idea what would have locked up the SSO server. This seems to happen every 4 or 5 months.

Any ideas?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: V7, VMware SSO, and PSOD

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Too less information`s to help you here. Did you upgrade any component of vSphere to a level that Veeam v7 do not support anymore?
I would say, bring Veeam to a version that is supported and open a support ticket. NMI Errors sometimes are hardware and firmware related. Did you changed something in the hardware? What does the diagnostic of the server say... any memory errors?

As well please post:
VMware ESXi Version (exact built number)
vCenter Version and Patch level.
Veeam exact built number (patch level).
Primary Storage Protocoll (FC/iSCSI/NFS)
Backup Method (NBD/DirectSAN/Hotadd).
wilkins44
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jay Wilkins

Re: V7, VMware SSO, and PSOD

Post by wilkins44 »

We've got this one figured out.

The environment that this is in ESX 5.1, and the SSO server is known to be susceptible to running out of resources, which was what we were running into. The recommended fix for this is upgrade to 5.5, which will also upgrade the SSO. Our other thought is to upgrade our V7 instance to V8 to match it's counterpart. I'd like to go V9 or V9.5, but this is a legacy environment and is scheduled to be gone sometime next year.