Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwkirk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Kirkpatrick

Hourly Backups to StoreOnce

Post by mwkirk »

So I am working with a customer who wants to have hourly backups of a specific Accounting FileShare. We are backing up data to an HP StoreOnce device. When creating the backup I get a warning that you can't have more than 7 restore points without a Full Backup. So, what I have done at this point is create 4 separate backups that cover 4 6 hour windows that run hourly. The idea being that the first backup of each time period would be full backup.

However, the only option I can check off is to do a daily full is a Synthetic Full. The normal full only has options for Monthly or Weekly. If I remember correctly when I first setup the StoreOnce the Synthetic Fulls would not work because because I was backing up to the StoreOnce and I had to do normal full backups. I will know for sure if that is an issue when the second run of these jobs will start taking place at Noon today.

Is there a better strategy for doing this or ideally some way to just put this in a single job and Veeam would just grab a Full backups when the requirements of the StoreOnce dictated it?

I have support case 01991962 opened and got a response back stating you could not schedule more than one full a day outside of a script. I saw other questions posted regarding hourly backups but I think my situation may be a little unique because the StoreOnce is there. Would just like to know if anyone in the community might have a better strategy at tackling this. Also, once this is in production I am concerned that the Full will not complete in the 1 hour window that it has.

TIA
Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Hourly Backups to StoreOnce

Post by foggy »

Hi Mike, with Veeam B&R v9.5, the limit for a maximum of 7 restore points in the chain has increased and now depends on the particular device. So I'd recommend to look into upgrading, unless you haven't thought of it yet.
mwkirk
Influencer

Post by mwkirk »

Yeah I had thought about upgrading to 9.5 but not necessarily for this reason. I see where the release notes say that it depends on the model of StoreOnce which we are using the 4500. So, not sure if that one would work better for me. Ideally, would like to at least run the hourly backups then have a window say from 2 to 5 every day to do a full backup. What I have setup now actually works but each time it hits those fulls it is going to be a larger window and now I can get that done within an hour but there is only 200 GB on there which there will be much more in the future.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With StoreOnce 4500 you will have 14 restore points limit. Any reason why you do not want using script to trigger active full several times a day?
mwkirk
Influencer

Post by mwkirk »

I actually went ahead and upgraded to 9.5 this morning before I saw your response. So, yes I discovered it is 14 now. I'm not opposed to using a script just not familiar with scripting in Veeam. What would I need to do to implement that.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This can be done with the help of Windows Task Scheduler and this simple script. If you'd need any assistance with this, feel free to ask in the corresponding subforum.
mwkirk
Influencer

Post by mwkirk » 1 person likes this post

Yup...Works like a champ. They are going to do 2 hour windows now so just used Task scheduler to run a full at midnight then start up every 2 hours at 4:00 AM in the Task scheduler...