Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Backup job to disk, copy to dedupe appliance (Altavault)

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, due to the size of our environment we are having issues with using a NetApp Altavault as a primary backup target. I am looking to perform some backups to standard disk first, followed by a copy job to the Altavault.

For the initial disk based backup i'd like to make use of Veeam for dedupe and compression, but for the copy job would need to backup un-deduped / compressed to the Altavault. If I turn compression off on the copy job will it effectively uncompress and un-dedupe the data to be stored on the Altavault?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,

James
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup job to disk, copy to dedupe appliance (Altavault)

Post by foggy »

Hi James, to un-dedupe, you need to clear the "Enable deduplication..." check box in the backup copy job settings, and for uncompressed backups I recommend using the "Decompress on target" setting on the target repository instead of compression level in the job itself - thus you will transfer the data compressed and let repository server decompress it (unless the dedupe appliance is located locally and sending uncompressed data is acceptable).
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Re: Backup job to disk, copy to dedupe appliance (Altavault)

Post by cookiejc »

Great, thanks for the response Foggy