Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ryan@dao.hctx.net
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan McCarroll

Legal Hold for existing backup set

Post by ryan@dao.hctx.net »

Does anyone else receive legal hold type requests for existing backup sets? For instance, we had a Full exchange backup that completed a week ago. Then a couple of days ago, we had a request to hold on to that backup due to some major changes around the office (upper management replacements, etc).

This isn't something that happens with every backup or very often in general, so it's not really something that creating a backup copy job would help with (at least as far as I understand them). I opened a case with support and was told Veeam does not offer this functionality. What I ended up doing, after supports recommendation, was manually copying the backup sets to a new folder on my storage device. If they are needed, I should be able to import them through the Backup and Replication console.

I'm mainly curious if anyone else has run into this, and if you came up with a better/more efficient way to accomplish it. Personally, this would be a nice feature to have in the console...just a way to tell it to ignore the retention policy for this specific backup set, but continue with new backups as usual.

Running Veeam 9 on Server 2012 with a Dell DR6300 storage array, if it helps.

Case # 01993625, but I already closed it since I got my answer and a workaround.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Legal Hold for existing backup set

Post by veremin »

The proposed workaround looks valid, indeed, and since the said functionality is not currently present within our product, there is nothing we can offer besides that. Thanks.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 2 people like this post

The way I deal with this when it comes up is I restore the exact restore point that needs to be held and then VeeamZIP that restored VM. That way I don't have to keep an entire backup chain stored somewhere and I can be sure the backup is good as I've already done a test restore in the process of creating the VeeamZIP.
ryan@dao.hctx.net
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan McCarroll

Post by ryan@dao.hctx.net »

Thanks Dave! That process sounds much more thorough, and probably a lot quicker than the copy/paste. I'm going to look into how to piece that together. Thanks again!