Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Feature Request: Add first/last day of month to active full

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Hello I just got off the phone with support after trying to figure out why my Veeam to tape job was creating a synthetic/virtual full to tape of my Veeam backups over the last month. I have a standard Veeam Job that creates a full backup of all my VM's on the first day of each month then does incrementals everyday after that till the next first of the month where it will do another full. Then I have a tape job that is set to backup the full/incrementals of this jobs current backup chain at the last day of the month. This should give me one full and some 30 day of incrementals on tape each month and this worked okay the fist month were I got one set of fulls and all the incrementals for that month onto tape but the second month all it did was make a synthetic full for that day when dumping it to tape.

The support tech noticed that my Veeam job was not set to make fulls and I told him since there is no option under "Active full backups" to select to backup on "first" or "last" "day" of the month that I had write a script to handle the scheduling of the job so I could control if an full or incremental is made based off the day of the month. He said well if the backup is ran by a script then Veeam has no way to tell if a new full was made so it will make its own synthetic full in place of it so then all I get is a single full for each server in that backup job for the day the tape was ran and the other 30 some days previous do not go to tape.

Currently I will have to find some way around this but like myself the support guy was surprised there was not already a "first" or "last" "day" of month option in an "Active full backup" on a Veeam job when there are already options for "first" and "last" "Monday - Sunday" in the list. It is already an option in the tape backups just not under the Veeam "Active full backups". He said it "should" be a simple feature to add and that I should put in a feature request. I agreed so now I am here hoping this will not be a huge pain to add and that a Veeam dev/manager is listening.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Add first/last day of month to active f

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the feedback. You would like to get an option to schedule 'Active full backup' on last day of the month for regular disk jobs, is that correct?
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Post by ShawnKPERS » 1 person likes this post

Hi Diana,

I think I botched up the description of what I was looking to do so let me do my best to clarify. If you look under a "Backup to Tape Job>Full Backup> Schedule...>Monthly on" you see an option for "This Day" and then it gives you an option to select any day of the month based off a numerical value and also gives you a "Last" option. Well It would be great if the "This Day" options was also available under the "regular backup to disk job>Storage>Advanced>Backup tab>Active full>Monthly on". This would give me the ability to run a full on the 1st of every month and then incrementals every other day of the month.

I was currently achieving this with a script but as started above if you tie a job ran by script to a secondary job it messes with how the fulls are backed up since Veeam can not see jobs ran by scripts, I hope this helps clarify things.

Regards,
Shawn
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Shawn,

Thanks a lot for the clarification. You request makes sense to me and it was shared with the team. Cheers!
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Thank you
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

I was actually coming to post something similar. I would like to be able to have a GFS Tape job grab a full already on disk instead of creating a synthesized VBK.

I use GFS backup copy jobs and it would be nice to just set up my GFS monthly tape jobs to grab the most recent GFS point from the source copy job as it would simplify scheduling a lot.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Steve,

Your request looks different. If I understand it correctly, you would like to use GFS restore point from backup copy instead synthesized full backup. Makes sense to me – I’ll check with the devs.