Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BCT-Tech
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Recovery Media & Backups on same device?

Post by BCT-Tech »

Is is possible to create the Recovery Media on the USB device you plan on saving the backups on?

Are there any issues with doing that?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Recovery Media & Backups on same device?

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I dont know if it is impossible, but I use the recovery media as a bootable USB device which is a small thumb drive and my storage is a larger USB drive. I would think that you would want those things separate. Now I definitely include the recovery media file in my backups so I could use any VEB instance to pull out the recovery file and make a bootable drive from it.
VMCE v9
chaveb
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Charlie Veb

Post by chaveb »

Definitely possible - I've configured mine that way.

Just be aware that if you leave your backup device connected the system *may* try to boot from it automatically when you restart. Make sure you configure the boot order in your BIOS to avoid that.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, that’s a supported scenario. First you create a recovery partition on the disk - by default it takes up to 1 GB of free space, the rest will be allocated into simple partition which can be used as a backup destination.

The challenging part: recovery media should be recreated after major update due bug fixes, new features etc and we cannot update the first partition on a disk without erasing the last partition (at least now).