Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Restoring to a VMware storage cluster - hotadd

Post by neilmacneil »

Hello,

I ran into a possible issue today while restoring a VM. In the "Full VM Restore Wizard" I selected "restore to a new location" and selected the hotadd proxy. When selecting the datastore, Veeam detects it is on "datastore-2", I change this to the datastore cluster "datastore-cluster" which it was living on originally. This is all fine up until the restore starts. Veeam uses NBD instead of hotadd if I restore to a datastore cluster (even though nbd failover is not checked off). If I leave it on datastore-2 it will then restore using hotadd.

Is this expected behavior? I will open a support case if not.

Thanks,

-Neil
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Restoring to a VMware storage cluster - hotadd

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Neil.

Depending on what actual datastore within the datastore cluster is automatically picked when you select "datastore-cluster", it may be normal (for example, if your proxy cannot hot add disks on the picked datastore).

Thanks!

P.S. I removed debug logs snippets as perform forum rules.
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

@Gostev I can confirm same behaviour is present on latest build of v11 as OP describes it.

In a environment for one our customers all backups are hot-add every night perfectly. All ESXi hosts have access to all Datastores and all Veeam Proxies have access to all Hosts & Datastores.

I was really confused when restoring a VM and Veeam suddenly picked NBD mode for the restore operation. I then tried a few different stuff and figured out if I picked a specific Datastore under the Datastore Cluster then hot-add works every time. Everytime I pick the Datastore Cluster, NBD mode was chosen again.

The VM.<VM_name>.Restore.log quickly shows what goes wrong in the scenario where a Datastore Cluster is chosen:
<01> Info [ProxyDetector] Searching for VMFS LUN and volumes of the following datastores: ['']

Running a restore with a specific Datastore as restore target the [""] is populated correctly with the chosen datastore.

All these years, Neil was right :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Gert, thanks for posting into the existing thread. Are you positive that every time the restore process used NBD mode did the proxy involved have access to the corresponding datastore for hotadd? Let me check internally, please.
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

Hi @foggy

100% sure. All Proxies have access to all Datastores, it's a very small environment. I've done 7 restores, constantly everytime I choose the Clustered Datastore it used NBD, and choosing a specific Datastore within the Cluster then it uses hot-add. I just verified all my restore sessions in the Veeam console.

To exclude that is was something with that specific environment, I went ahead and tested it on a completely different environment, same behaviour.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

This was confirmed internally as an issue - hotadd is not detected upon restore to Datastore Cluster. Will be addressed in one of the following Veeam B&R updates - thanks for the heads up!