Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vipthomps
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Thompson

Change the Remote SQL User password for Enterprise Manager?

Post by vipthomps »

Hi all.

I've opened a support case for this but not getting too far yet. WIth Ent. Mgr 9.5 on a 2016 box i had it connected to a remote SQL instance. That was fine. For an unrelated reason I rolled the password of that SQL user and changed it on the backup and replication server with no issues using the Configuration tool that VB&R installs.

However that utility doesn't exist with just Enterprise Manager and it appears the only spot for the SQL user password is in the registry key and thats hashed/encrypted? Anyone figure out how to do this in any version? I've seen forum posts on how to change the user, the DB, the server but NOT the password. I can't even uninstall EM as that just fails and the logs aren't very helpful. I'd rather not delete the EM virtual machine but i'm pretty close to out of options.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Change the Remote SQL User password for Enterprise Manag

Post by foggy »

Hi Eric, not sure if it helps, but you could stop EM service and then try to uninstall it.
vipthomps
Service Provider

Post by vipthomps »

Thanks Foggy. No luck though. Actually service won't even start since it can't get to the database.. I have a support call in 5 minutes so we'll see what we come up with
vipthomps
Service Provider

Post by vipthomps » 1 person likes this post

So we came up with a fix. We deleted the values in the registry keys SqlSecuredPassword and SqlLogin then we changed the Ent. Mgr service from Local System to a domain account and gave that account db_owner on the database on the remote sql box as well as sysadmin (was only required for the first start of the service then I removed that role)

We were able to then get the service up and running. At this point we need to leave it as an AD account since there is no way to change the SQL user password for Enterprise Manager on a standalone server (IE not on the same server as VB&R) short of an uninstall/reinstall so I'd file that under a feature request.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks, Eric. Request is accepted.