Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
kc9988
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken chang

Veeam 9.5 & Nano server 2016

Post by kc9988 »

HI,
I have an Hyper-v host, running 2016 Nano server, and 2 guest VMs - one is Exchange server 2013 running on Server 2012 R2, the other one is a Server 2016 domain controller. I was able backup both VMs with application-aware enabled once, then after I changed a NIC on the host server and reboot, I'm getting the same error on both VMs "Unable to find Hyper-V hosts where VM 'd30c523b-5de1-477d-8453-c81238244a92'. Contacted tech support, they said there's no VSS on the host and does not support "application-aware for Nano server' :

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

So I reboot the host server again, with the "application-Aware" enabled, and no longer getting this error, the backup job was successful.
My question is, does Veeam 9.5 support "application-aware" on Nano server?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam 9.5 & Nano server 2016

Post by Gostev »

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

Yes, we do fully support application-aware processing of non-Nano guests running on Nano Hyper-V host (your scenario).

The linked help article talks about a different scenario: Nano guests running on any flavor of Hyper-V host. Indeed, we cannot support application-aware processing of Nano guests due to lack of VSS framework in them.

Thanks!