Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mlein
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Lein

Export all mailboxes to multiple PST files

Post by mlein »

Just wondering if there's a way to export our 236 mailboxes to 236 different PST files? I can find how to export them all to one PST but that's not quite what I want. Do I have to export each mailbox one at a time?

Thanks,

Mark
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Export all mailboxes to multiple PST files

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mark,

At this moment yes. This is functionality coming from the Veeam Explorer for Exchange. There is no method to export each mailbox to a separate mailbox. I probably can guess but can you tell me the reason why you would want to do this?

Thanks
Mike
mlein
Influencer

Post by mlein »

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Couple of things. I'd like a repository of all our mailboxes in PST format so that I can drag the ones of former staff into a folder so that if someone needs an email that's in one of their mailboxes, I can just search the relevant mailbox or even give them a copy of the PST to load into their Outlook if they need to search themselves. Also, i'd like to have the whole repository of PST files stored off-site as well. Lastly, in this case, I'd like to save the former employee's mailboxes so I can remove them in Office 365 so they don't get backed up anymore.

Thanks again,

Mark
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mark.

Thanks. I hope you don't mind if I have a few follow-up questions.

1) If you install VBO365 on a VM, can you back it up with Veeam B&R so you can use our traditional solutions such as a backup copy job to get it offline? PS: If you do item-level restore on that VM it will detect it is a VBO365 server and actually open the Veeam Explorer for Exchange so you can recover what you want.

2) For your former employee's mailbox. When you remove the user, it won't be removed from the backup unless the retention is over. Is that also enough or do you still prefer that PST export option?

(sorry for this additional questions)

Mike
mlein
Influencer

Post by mlein »

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply.

To answer your questions:
1. Our VBO365 is a VM and it does get backed up with Veeam B&R 9.5 with all our other VMs but the repository is stored on a NAS as it's 798GB in size so it does not get backed up.
2. I plan to wipe the repository and start a new backup once I have exported all the PSTs out. This should save me some space as we have about 50 mailboxes which will no longer be included in the backups.

Long term i'll probably do this on a yearly basis, export all mailboxes to PST, remove former employees from Office 365, wipe the repository and start backing up from scratch.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mark,

As already said, we don't have this in our explorers right now. But I will certainly take this on the discussion table with me. One final question. If this could be done through PowerShell (via the Veeam Explorer for Exchange) and not through the UI itself, with a simple looping script, would that be a good enough solution for you? (You could even schedule it then :-))
mlein
Influencer

Post by mlein »

Mike,

In a perfect world, i'd be able to select the mailboxes in the explorer UI that I want to export, right click on them and export them to a location I choose and they'd all be named whatever the mailbox is named. But I can understand that I won't always get what I want. So yup, a powershell script would be good enough for me.

Thanks,
n0creativity
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Anderson

Post by n0creativity »

+1 for this feature!
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

+1

If the customer f.ex change from one MSP to another MSP, many of those MSP will require separate .PST so they can import it this way.
I have been a +1 for this request for "years", but the last months we have been doing this kind of migration with Dell On Demand Migration, apps 10 USD pr.mailbox which has served us well.
I guess actually we will never be needing this functionality if we as a MSP will be doing the migration project, but there is still "old-school" and more conservative environemnts/consultans that want to import each .pst natively.
rmdd
Novice
Full Name: Ryan Murphy

Post by rmdd »

Hi Mike,

I have a similar need: I'm looking to back up about 3 TB of Office 365 data, then export each mailbox to an individual PST file. I see that you mentioned there may be a way to do this with PowerShell and Veeam Explorer. Do you mind explaining further? I have 2000+ mailboxes, so figuring out a way to do this en masse is quite important to getting the job done.

Thanks!

Ryan
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Ryan,

It is not yet possible today. This is one of the items on our (very long ;-)) request list so at this moment I cannot tell you yet when this could become possible through PowerShell.

But we are investing heavily in PowerShell (and Rest) for our next version and in a few weeks we will give some more details around it. But today I cannot give much more I'm afraid...

Mike
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

Hello, I am currently searching for the same solution. I have several Exchange OnPrem servers (in this case Exchange 2010) and I would like to export every mailbox of a specific Exchange database to mailbox-name.pst. I have found some PowerShell commands, like ...

Get-VBRExchangeItemRestoreSession

Can anyone point me in the right direction, where to find a complete Powershell script that I can customize to my environment?

Yes, of course I would be glad to find such an option via the GUI of the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange as well.

Best regards,
Didi7

P.S.: Sorry, I noticed that I answered to a thread in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 instead of Veeam Backup & Replication with Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange and Exchange OnPrem. Maybe an admin can merge my post to a respective thread?
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!