Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

[GA] Veeam.Archiver.Service failed to start, backup failures

Post by Gostev »

Issue
Setup fails with the following error: "Service 'Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Service' (Veeam.Archiver.Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services".

Issue
Every mailbox backup is failing, unable to scroll through the list of enumerated mailboxes in the running backup job.

Cause
You have participated in the public beta of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 and did not clean up the previous installation before running the setup. Upgrade from pre-release versions is not supported, clean install is required.

Solution
Uninstall the pre-release versions of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 and Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange, and delete the content of archive repository folder as well as C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365 folder before running the setup.
satheesh
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Satheesh Varadharajan

Re: [GA] Veeam.Archiver.Service failed to start, backup fail

Post by satheesh »

How can you uninstall Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange if you are running on a Windows Server 2012 R2? There are no Start-menu to choose uninstall from? (Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 you can uninstall from Control Panel -> Programs and Features.)

Also, it seems that upgrading from the 827.RC1 build (the last public version before the GA was released) works out of the box. Or do you still recommend to delete the content of archive repository folder?
Satheesh.net
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Post by Kostya »

satheesh wrote:How can you uninstall Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange if you are running on a Windows Server 2012 R2? There are no Start-menu to choose uninstall from? (Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 you can uninstall from Control Panel -> Programs and Features.)
Hi Satheesh,

To uninstall the previous version you can use original VeeamExplorerForExchange.msi, just run it, click Next and it will show you Remove option.
satheesh
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Satheesh Varadharajan

Post by satheesh »

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. :wink: I was so excited to get this installed that I totally forgot to use my head. Good thing Christmas and a little time for rest is coming up! :roll:

That said; it could be that some people don't have the file any more and deleted it. Luckily I had it on one of my test-servers. Maybe you should make that available somewhere, just in case someone else finds themselves in the same situation?

What about an answer to my second question btw?
Satheesh.net
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It is recommended to uninstall any pre-release version and delete the archive repository prior to installing the GA one.